Natwest User's Beware- Or Any Bank For That Matter

Pilch from exiled-gamers.co.uk 11:27 17 Dec 03

Just had this email...

Well clearing an old account out of Spam..

Dear Valued Customer,

- Our new security system will help you to avoid
frequently fraud transactions and to keep your
investments in safety.

- Due to technical update we recommend you to
reactivate your account.

Click on the link below to login and begin using
your updated NatWest account.

To log into your account, please visit the NatWest Online Banking
click here

If you have questions about your online statement,
please send us a Bank Mail or call us at
0846 600 2323 (outside the UK dial +44 247 686 2063).

We appreciate your business. It's truly our
pleasure to serve you.

NatWest Customer Care

This email is for notification only. To contact us,
please log into your account and send a Bank Mail.

I dont believe this is from natwest due to the fact that i have an account with them and this isn't regstered with this email address. Also they do know my name....

justme 11:36 17 Dec 03

This is almost certainly a con.

To check try logging in to the bank site as normal (not using the link given in the email). If you can access the site as normal then the email was not from your bank.

If on the other hand you cannot access the site then contact the bank in person and ask if they did send the email.

Banks will never request your details as they already have them, and as they do not want any data lost (it could cost them millions) they are very careful about keeping backups.

March Hare 12:44 17 Dec 03

The rather odd English ( ".......help you to avoid frequently fraud transactions and to keep your investments in safety") looks very suspicious in this case, and reminiscent of the Nigerian scams. But other similar scams are more convincing, so the only safe rule is NEVER NEVER give personal information following an email request.

Patr100 14:26 17 Dec 03

It stinks. Never follow a direct link from an email to "update" or "verify" your details. It's an old trick.
If in OE have a look at the properties/details. source code for the email and it may reveal more of it's origins..

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from [67.164.223.207] (67.164.223.207) by mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com (6.7.018)
id 3FBA93AB03AA12AD for pilch_rocks************; Mon, 8 Dec 2003 05:28:43 +0000
Message-ID: <[email protected]> (added by [email protected])
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:28:31 -0600
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
Reply-To: [email protected]
Organization: 240967
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
To: pilch_rocks******************
Subject: NatWest Bank Security Update
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Jester2K II 14:57 17 Dec 03

Forward the message to abuse @ msn . com

Looks like it came from k1nst1 @ msn . com

Mutant_Llama 15:01 17 Dec 03

I have been using Natwest online for some time know and they now have a warning about hoax emails and also stress that they would NEVER email people requesting there account details....

Stuartli 16:20 17 Dec 03

This scam has been going on for quite a while - LloydsTSB is the latest target - and most online banking websites, such as the Halifax, have posted clear warnings almost from the start.

Anyone who falls for it shouldn't be let loose near an online banking facility....:-)

Patr100 16:22 17 Dec 03

Yes, First Direct are warning it's online customers too.

Stuartli 16:27 17 Dec 03
  Forum Editor 18:36 17 Dec 03

I'm surprised to see you say "Anyone who falls for it shouldn't be let loose near an online banking facility"

Almost as surprised as you might be to learn that plenty of people with lots of savvy fell for it. I know it's easy to wonder how people are taken in by scams like this, but just imagine that you aren't as regular an Internet user as you and I - imagine that you don't frequent web forums, and that you use Internet banking as a convenient way of managing your money out of banking hours. Perhaps you work odd hours, like me, and find that Internet banking is the answer to a prayer.

I know one very intelligent, very 'aware' solicitor who was completely fooled by this email (before the message about hoax emails was on the NatWest login screen). She uses the Internet for research sometimes, and for email, but otherwise it's only for Internet banking. She's usually busy, often in a rush, and didn't suspect a thing.

Maybe a little more understanding would be in order?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…