Nationwide Problem

ened 17:57 18 Nov 06

As a person with several accounts with this Building society should I be concerned about today's news?

sunny staines 17:59 18 Nov 06

no, any loss down to them.

Probabilitydrive 18:04 18 Nov 06

As the chief of the Building society said today: No customer will loose any money, because of the theft of the laptop...So, I wouldn't worry about the money.

I'd be more concerned about the theft of personal data. Having been on the receiving end of an identity theft, this turnedaout to be far more serious.

ened 18:30 18 Nov 06

"I'd be more concerned about the theft of personal data. Having been on the receiving end of an identity theft, this turnedaout to be far more serious."

I was thinking along those lines myself, although all my accounts with them are in the black and I really don't need the hassle.

I was wondering what they intend doing about it, or is the risk being exaggerated?

Forum Editor 18:41 18 Nov 06

occurred three months ago, and so far there's no indication that any Nationwide customer's account has been compromised.

The laptop probably contained account numbers and names, but there would have been no PINs or account passwords.

The information Commissioner hasn't - so far - indicated that he intends to take any action, and the The Financial Services Authority has said much the same thing.

Forum Editor 19:09 18 Nov 06

is that a) the laptop should not have been taken to a private residence, and b) Nationwide should not have waited so long before notifying customers.

ed-0 23:20 18 Nov 06

"I think it went missing around 3 months ago and all the data was well encrypted. So far, as I know, no accounts have been compromised.

It was probably some tea leaf, who has probably wiped the hard drive, as they could not get it to boot and sold it down the pub for a couple of fixes."

We have a combination of four accounts with the nationwide and are not to concerned. We generally check on the accounts every 2 or 3 days.

Forum Editor 23:39 18 Nov 06

the machine might not have contained anything which would identify the database as being that of Nationwide customers. The list itself may simply have been a table of names and numbers.

From what I've heard, the chances of anyone in possession of this information accessing an account and causing any harm are slim. After all, you provide your bank account number and sort code every time you give someone a cheque. You also provide the name of the bank.

wee eddie 23:54 18 Nov 06

The Nationwide representative was very precise in his responses. The Nationwide would compensate any Customer for any loss from their Nationwide Account.

However, the devil lies in the detail.

He made no guarantee that the Nationwide would compensate any Nationwide Customer whose Identity was Cloned, as a result of the theft, and that person had losses from other areas.

Diemmess 09:08 19 Nov 06

The Chief Exec's reticence suggests that he has been told by the Police to say nothing!

This supposedly makes the Police investigation easier for them, by restricting the number of people to a few who need-to-know.

Easier for the Police perhaps but difficult for everyone else.

The result is confusion and inuendo.
I doubt if the original thief or laptop will be discovered.
Hopefully Nationwide will reorganise things so that if a company laptop disappears in the future they will be able to say "So what, there were no customer data files on it."

€dstowe 09:17 19 Nov 06

Banks have rules stating that customer information remains on the bank premises - whether that be in electronic or paper form.

It is immaterial whether the data was encrypted or not, there are NO circumstances where a computer or a computer disk or papers containing customer details are taken off bank premises and the person who did this should be dealt with in an appropriate manner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…