NAS Advice

herbie53 14:12 04 Apr 09

Hello, I am looking for a NAS device for my network, I have found several possible products, but wonder if anyone has any better suggestions. I am looking at the Addonics NAS adapter at click here, which seems to do everything I want. I have also looked at the NSLU2, which seems great but is still surprisingly expensive.
Ideally it needs to do standard SMB file sharing, use the NTFS file system for >4gb files, either with a built in drive (around 500gb) or with USB. BT downloads/print server not essential. Media sharing is not required, and I don't need FTP. Anyone got any better suggestions?

qbie 11:38 06 Apr 09

You will find that most NAS drives are linux based, so rather than NTFS, they would use ext2 or ext3, but that can handle over 4gb files just fine - although if you do currently have files stored on the drive you may need to reformat it.

Personally I use a QNAP TS-409 NAS which has 4 HDD bays and find it very easy to use, and I get great transfer speeds from it - I use it to store all my movies and music. They do make 1 or 2 drive versions as well.

As you say you want to use a USB drive with them it may not be suitable, but might be worth looking at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac