My XP security support is going parrot shaped!!!

961 19:09 09 Feb 06

I see reports in the computer press that when Windows Vista launches towards the end of this year people running Windows XP will no longer get security updates

Support for Windows XP Home edition is likely to stop virtually as soon as Vista is launched unless Microsoft has a change of heart, according to the blurb

I take this as totally unacceptable

What about those who are currently buying a new computer with xp home edition installed?

Am I alone in being totally disgusted?

Totally-braindead 19:12 09 Feb 06

Could you supply a link to any of these reports as usually Microsoft create updates for 3 or 4 years when they bring a new OS out and I'd be interested to read the articles you mention.

SG Atlantis® 19:15 09 Feb 06

calm down.

That's total rubbish. T-B is right.

961 19:18 09 Feb 06

Computer Shopper, April 2006 edition, p 264 Newsfile

Totally-braindead 19:22 09 Feb 06

Have to have a look at the article tommorrow.

hzhzhz 19:30 09 Feb 06
  hzhzhz 19:40 09 Feb 06

Dated Jan 13th!.

961 20:14 09 Feb 06

OK, fine.

But look at the lead time for these magazines

And remember, fly a kite. See what the reaction is

Those buying xp today deserve security support for some considerable time

hzhzhz 20:16 09 Feb 06

I agree.

dmc727 21:35 09 Feb 06

Lifted from Microsoft site……….:click here

“Windows XP Professional - Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream support ends.

Windows XP Home Edition - Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released.”

Looks like two years support for XP Home after Vista is released – that’s two years from about 1 Dec 06. Personally I have an OEM version and not entitled to people support (never had a need for it yet anyway) but I assume this two years also includes updates, patches etc which I currently receive.

Maybe XP Pro has the extra support because of its business use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…