My PC's just died !

tenroom 14:55 04 Apr 05

Well . . . it had to happen one day. Had it for 5 years and for the last 3 it's been on 24/7/365. Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3, 700MHz processor and 12GB hard drive. I've used it to surf and for a plug-in heavy version of Cubase 5.

I desperately need a new PC but there are components that I've bought for my dead one that I'd REALLY like to carry over to the new one. Trouble is all the reputable suppliers who offer warranties and the associated piece of mind that they provide, seem reluctant to supply a PC without some mickey mouse DVD writer or a soundcard. I've got a great DVD+/- writer and an Audiophile 24/96 soundcard - why would I want their budget nonsense ?

Anyway - does anyone know where I can get a 3.2GHz, 1024 DDR RAM machine with Windows XP Pro, a super quiet power supply, 6 USB 2.0 ports and the all important 2/3 year warranty ?

Really appreciate it guys !

so3003 15:13 04 Apr 05

Why not buy your own components and put it all together? You sound like you know what you're doing enough to be able to do this!

tenroom 15:31 04 Apr 05

Cos I know what I want but don't have the time or the knowledge to try it myself. Whenever I've tried to save money by doing it myself in the past, whether decorating or car mechanics, I always botch it.

Diodorus Siculus 16:46 04 Apr 05

Novatech Online Range of PC Barebones
click here - this will give you the basics and you can add what you want afterwards.

stalion 19:47 04 Apr 05

also useful info here click here

jack 19:59 04 Apr 05

Is there no local systems builder nearby?
Check Yel or Google

GaT7 20:16 04 Apr 05

tenroom, sorry going off topic here but I'd really like to know how well your present system copes with the DVD writer & what make/model it is.

I've a similar spec to yours (Win98se, Celeron 600Mhz, 512Mb...) & was thinking of purchasing a DVD writer but read somewhere that unless I had the min spec of a PIII 1Ghz CPU, etc, the drive wouldn't perform to it's max capabilities regarding write/rewrite speed. Do you find this an issue with your drive/setup? G

tenroom 09:19 05 Apr 05

Well when I burn Dual Layer DVDs I always get freezing on playback. That's why I've given up !

Might not have to replace PC after all ! A mate told me the cure to the problem I've been having which is that when I switch the PC on, I can hear the power supply going but the hard disk doesn't boot up. He suggested that as my PC was 5 years old, I should replace the motherboard battery as this is most likely the problem. Reason being I pretty much leave the thing on all day, every day and the problem wouldn't show up unless I switched it off and tried to boot up again.

The only reason it went off the other day was owing to a power cut. Strangely, though, when I restart via the "Start" icon on Windows, there's never a problem.

Any advice from anyone would be welcome in lieu of replacing the battery today.

polo 16:51 05 Apr 05

Go to click here and cofigure just what you want. cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…