My Current Broadband Speed,My Change,My Hopes.

Big L 266 11:42 12 Feb 10

Hello.

Although this is my last full week with my current supplier,I wondered what the current broadband speed was as at 11.17am today Friday 12th February. The result is below if you wish to have a look.It is very impressive.

click here

I have decided to go with another company package for which the measured broadband speed was 15.1 out of a possible 24mbps. I am very lucky indeed to live 200 yards away from the BT Exchange here in Spalding. The extra £6.00 a month cost is covered by 24/7 free calls including 0845/0870 numbers.

I have also ordered 10 meters of new Cat6 Patch cable as the new router will be plugged in right next to the phone point. The cable will be run around the room, and through cable kerbs to avoid tripping, into my computer via an external network card the original computer one of which was ruined by a thunderclap, even though the computer itself wasn't on.

Although the router is wifi, my Dell Studio 540 bought January 2009 isn't. As I have disabilities, this package will serve me well and I can watch programmes either 'live' or replayed via an 'on-demand' service in better quality than I currently am able.

I am really looking forward to the next 18 months and the new service provider. I have to say their staff have been extremely kind and helpful to me from the word go and that I kept informed of the progress of my order.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. All the very best.

Big L 266

Input Overload 12:07 12 Feb 10

I used to live next door to the exchange in the early days of ADSL when it was BT installed. Now I am maybe 3 miles away so I went with Virgin Fiber, but if I got a decent speed from ADSL as you have I wouldn't have bothered.

birdface 13:24 12 Feb 10

Remember o2 is now providing home phones as well as Broadband so maybe check them out.

Pine Man 16:19 12 Feb 10

..I'm still waiting for the small print before I commit myself but have already noticed that some of the add ons provided free by BT are charged for by o2.

Big L 266 21:24 14 Feb 10

Hello.

My 10 meters of CAT6Patch cable duly arrived on Saturday. After a bit of an effort my router now sits by the phone point,and the cable is now connected to the computer and sandwiched under two cable kerbs for safety.

The strange effect seems to have been immediate.I was able to watch 'Countryfile' and 'Antiques Road Show' in 'live' format via click here with very little problem and a vastly improved picture. I'm currently listening to Radio 2s Russell Davies 'live' between 9&10pm and there is definitely an improvement in sound quality.

When I did another broadband speed check,it seems the upload speed had improved a lot by this change. This should bode well when my new supplier start on Friday as both the download and upload rates will be substantially higher than they are now.This should mean even better 'live' tv and radio streaming.

Fingers crossed that all will be well for the final swap on Friday.

All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…