My childs first desktop

jacool 20:28 31 Mar 09

Hi - I pretty new to all this so please excuse any ignorance. I want to buy a first desktop for my 8yr old. Clearly looking for reliability & a complete package that is ready to just plug in & go, so must include operating system etc.. I already have wireless broadband. Would like some software but not sure if an 8yr old qualifies for student edition terms? Only recommendation I have had is for a Mesh - have been warned away from Packard Bell, HP - basically all the systems that there are deals on at Currys & Comet! Anyone got any advice - all serious comments welcome.

sean-278262 22:18 31 Mar 09

Personally from experience I would suggest going for an older system along the 2nd hand route. Kids have a nack for tinkering and breaking things and at the end of the day a £100 desktop being fixed up is usually cheaper than a £300 new machine.

This is especially so when it comes to software support that is usually not covered in a warranty. I would trawl the likes of gumtree.co.uk or even freecycle and just look for a bargain. An 8 year old is not going to need the latest hardware. Kids games for that age range dont tend to be very taxing for a computer and for the likes of student software the money you save will allow you to get a few bits to start them off.

Being very honest here, PCA has in the past offered encyclopaedias on the front cover, usually the last years edition but for school/college use it isn't going to really be that much of an issue.

And as for a need for an office suite for an 8 year old will do with just open office as it is free and fully fledged as Microsoft's iteration of an office suite.

Hope that helps with a few further ideas.

birdface 22:25 31 Mar 09

Now as far as i know you can use this if in full time education or college.
click here
Even if it is a relation.

birdface 09:00 01 Apr 09

Always a big deal for kids getting a new computer.
Unlike Astec123 at least with a new computer you get a free 1 year warranty.
What computer to recommend I do not know.But maybe try E-Buyer or Dell.Give them a year on it and they will be whiz kids and learn you how to use it.
Unfortunately the only thing that they do not learn to do is run or update any Security Programs.
First thing they will want on it is messenger so that they can chat to their friends.
The next thing is Messenger Plus.This is not advised as it can download Adware Lop on to your computer.It can be safe if downloaded properly.But better not having it at all.
You should be able to use the software for students click here that I already posted,But only one way to find out.I have not heard of anyone being refused by it.
Good luck with your search If you find one that you think would be Ok just post it on here I am sure someone will be able to tell you if it is a good choice or not.
Also beware of some Computer sites out there if buying from any make sure you ask or Google for any bad reviews first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…