My broadband Download Speeds?

Cara2 18:25 PM 25 Apr 11

I suspect my broadband speed is not exactly speedy so have done two tests with the following results:

1. Upload .3mb and Download 6.34

2. Upload .4mb and 'Ping/Latency' (?) 90mb.

Does this make sense and is this as slow as I feel it is?

Am with Orange and have a very old style Router. Would this affect the speed?

Woolwell 22:09 PM 25 Apr 11

There are so many things that can affect download speed. How far are you from your exchange, the quality of your line, the router, your isp, etc. Many of your questions are covered in this thread broadband speed

carver 08:59 AM 26 Apr 11

link text

If you get the Orange router stats and enter them into the boxes that should give a rough idea of the sort of speeds you should get.

carver 09:00 AM 26 Apr 11

Sorry wrong link link text

onthelimit1 09:03 AM 26 Apr 11

6.34 for many people in rural areas can only be dreamed of! As Woolwell says, depends on many factors. O.3 upload is fairly standard.

interzone55 11:43 AM 26 Apr 11

Check your exchange here and see if any ISPs have their own kit in the exchange (known as LLU). they will be able to offer the best speeds.

For reference I live in a pretty rural area, BT could offer me a shade under 2mb/s download, so I went with Talk Talk, when I checked at the weekend I was enjoying 10.43mb/s download and .88mb/s upload

Housten 14:24 PM 26 Apr 11

By way of interest I saw the broadband speed test and then saw the offer of a 'free scan'. If you click on this you get Uniblue Registery checker - or something like this - which you can install on your machine. When you run this the programme will go through your machine and tell you that you have all sorts of problems which it can fix!! Just one teensy, weensy problem - you have to pay to get this!! so much for a 'free' scan!! Please beware of this.

Woolwell 17:11 PM 26 Apr 11

IMO the Uniblue Registry checker isn't very good (like most registry cleaners). See the helproom for associated problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know