Multimedia PC advice for a Rear Projection TV

steelyglint 16:02 01 Apr 06

I am fortunate enough to own a SAMSUNG DLP TV - the SP50L7HX model.

I have gotten bored waiting for a high definion DVD recorder with freeview to come out and am reluctant to buy an XBOx 360 when SONY's ps3 will probably wipe the floor with it so instead I wanted to buy a PC to achieve all of the above.

The media centre PC's look good but I'm worried about their gaming perfromance etc. so I would like advice on buying a PC for the living romm which I can attach to the TV above. It has to be quiet, capable of playing Doom 3 etc. at good FPS rates and be capable of playing DVD's at high definition, I am hoping to just connect to the samsung's audio in ports (it has a PC input with red/white audio ports and a HDMI/DVI input with similar but i would like good sound quality from these. I would also like the case to look the part, not one of the plastic monstrosities emblazened with makers logos etc. My intention would be to network the PC with my other desktop pc.

my price tag was around £800 but I am struggling with the decison because your mag tends to review desktop PC's and not media centres plus I can't help feeling that the media centres will be less upgradeable , modifiable etc. than using a well constructed and silent PC.

The spec I have though out so far would be:

Brushed aluminum case
amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ processor
1GGB ddr ram
nvidia geforce 7800 gt
windows media centre with remote

not sure about dvd writers readers please advise

+ lots of usb ports and card readers

Any advice would be much apppreciated

Regards,

Steelglint

steelyglint 19:17 12 Jul 06

bought a pc now - thanks for the advice (not)

Harpur 21:23 12 Jul 06

you forgot to tick it resolved then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…