Multifunction? printer buying advice

Marey 12:08 10 Sep 06

Giving up on my cheap (initially!) and nasty Lexmark 1180 all-in-one. So, any advice on what next would be appreciated. My priorities are:

Up to £100ish

Non-extortionate ink costs (ie. compatible carts or refillable?)

Reliable, noisy ok, slower ok

Mainly used for mono text, but occasional colour. Separate inks a good idea?

Scan / copy to decent standard.

Bog-standard ok photo printing (not anywhere near pro standard - will get one-off important photos printed elsewhere). Don't mind if it's not PC-free.

Any thoughts? Would I be better waiting until new models are released in autumn to try and get an end-of-line bargain?

Ta

pj123 16:23 10 Sep 06

As no one has responded yet, this is my view.

I wouldn't buy an MFD but would stick to "separates".

If one thing goes wrong it all goes wrong.

Remember the old "all in one Hi-Fi units"?

I have two friends who bought a Xerox all in one unit. Both of them have now said that the "copy" part and the "print" part does not work anymore.

A separate printer and scanner are far better at doing their respective jobs than an all in one.

I have an Epson R220 printer (two in fact) and an Epson 3170 Photo scanner. Compatible ink for the printer very cheap from many suppliers. I am quite pleased that I have a CISS system running on both these printers. (saves me a fortune). The scanner is able to scan documents/photo's plus it can also scan film negatives and slides.

Epson R220: click here

The 3170 scanner I have has now been superceded by the Epson 3940: click here

Compatible Ink: click here

1minute 17:04 10 Sep 06

Epson DX4800 £79.99 @ click here
Best printer i have had for a while.

1minute 17:05 10 Sep 06
  Dizzy Bob 17:41 10 Sep 06

Marey,

As you stated, you may pick up an end of line bargain. Epson generally release new models about now for the xmas market. The printer in the link above from 1minute is very good, and you may see the price drop in the next few weeks.

DB

Marey 18:03 10 Sep 06

Thanks for the advice, much to consider. I agree about separates in principle (love my separates hi-fi system!) but am pushed for space - with a thesis deadline looming, and much late night copying / scanning / printing involved, an all-in-one is still tempting.

Been looking at Canon MP 170 / MP450, but previous threads about ink costs are a bit worrying. Quite like black text to be properly black as well - some chat about printers that don't do this!

Will look at Epson DX4800 too, and maybe think about separates. Slide scanning could be very useful in the future too. Will keep my powder dry for now, and keep eyes peeled...

Marey 18:12 10 Sep 06

The R220 has had a couple of dodgy write-ups re: text output - this is my main need so I'll give that one a miss. Thanks anyway! : )

961 18:47 10 Sep 06

Consider HP 2575 @ around £100

Great quality output, easy to use

If you buy HP twinpack inks the ink cost comes down dramatically

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…