Multi Function inkjet printer/scanner

dawsonc 10:55 31 Dec 04

Thinking of going for the Epson CX6600. Any thoughts or recommendations ?

pj123 11:34 31 Dec 04

I personally, wouldn't have an MFD (due to:) If one part goes wrong, it all goes wrong as a friend has now found to his cost. The scanner part has packed up. It still prints docs OK but no scanner, no copier. So, does he now buy another MFD or just buy a scanner (which defeats the object) I would always stick to separates. Just my opinion though, others may say different.

dawsonc 11:41 31 Dec 04

Thats a good point well made. Unfortunately I have space constraints that mean I have to go for the MFD. thanks

pj123 12:00 31 Dec 04

In that case, 'go for it'. You get a 12 month manufacturers warranty. If, after that time you are still happy, keep it. If you have had any problems before the expiry, time to think again.

Be careful of any "store operated extended warranty" schemes. Shop around and buy your own extended warranty. I use Domestic and General and have never had any problems.

bunz 12:06 31 Dec 04

I have an HP PSC2175 which I think is great. I think it has recently been discontinued unfortunately but I got it in August for £135. The quality of everything it does it excellent, and it has memory card slots on the front so I can use it standalone as well as connected to my PC.

I didn't really want an MF, but it was the only way I could get the HP printing system I wanted. Now I have it, I wouldn't look back.

I did have an Epson R300 (I think that's right - the guys in the shop said it was the best one). Took it home, tried it for a week and I was really unimpressed with the print quality, very grainy and jagged edges on photos. Took it back and got the PSC.

Sorry for the long post, got a bit carried away there :-)

dawsonc 12:23 31 Dec 04

thanks bunz. which is the new version of your HP that you are so impressed with?

spuds 12:33 31 Dec 04

I use multi-function printers from the HP and Lexmark brands. My original HP 590 OfficeJet is about seven years old now, still chugging away on a regular usage.Perhaps I have been lucky, as I have never experienced any problems with any of my multi units.

Would suggest that you stick to your Epson choice, due to easy to obtain and cheaper ink cartridges. HP not to bad, but Lexmark get get a little heavy price wise with ink usage,even with compatibles.

Dell recently sold a number of new printers at silly prices=£9.99 inclusive for a rebadged Lexmark. They have a new half price offer going at the moment, which could be of interest. Dell Photo 922 All in One [3 functions] @ £35.00, and Dell Photo 962 All in One [4 functions]@ £83.00. click here... This special offer is on till the 5th January 2005.

anniel 12:35 31 Dec 04

Husband bought a Lexmark P6250. This is an all in one, heavily promated in PC World. It prints, scans and the colour photograph prints are most impressive. You insert your digital photo card into the printer and it has a screen showing the photos. I am a complete sucker for features like that!

He is delighted with it and it cost £150...quite cheap.

I am almost ashamed to come on here and say he bought a Lexmark!

pj123 13:01 31 Dec 04

There is nothing wrong with Lexmark printers. What lets them down is the very high price of replacement ink. Make a loss on the printer, gain on the ink. The best place I know for compatible ink for lexmark is Tonezone. click here

Providing it is not a very new on the market printer you should find ink a lot cheaper than the original.

anniel 14:12 31 Dec 04

What a great site! Thanks so much. The prices are really cheap. I have bookmarked Tonezone for future reference.

shellship 15:47 31 Dec 04

I have had an HP PSC 2210 for a couple of years now - footprint much less than separate printer, scanner, copier and fax. Works excellently, fast, accurate, super colour reproduction. Recommend it (or its successor) to anyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…