M/Soft Excel files to M/S Works - Possible??

Mickey 12345 20:15 06 Jan 05

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help. I currently have quite a few spreadsheets held on my old PC in M/Soft Excel 2000. Many have more than one worksheet per file.
We are considering buying a new PC which will have M/S Works Version 7. (Plus a 60 day trial of Office 2003 which we probably won't pay to keep).
I've been told that Works Spreadsheet software won't open Excel spreadsheets but I don't really want to have to construct them again from scratch.
Does anyone know if there's a way round this please ?

Simsy 21:08 06 Jan 05

that it will open them... but only 1 sheet;

If you try to open an excel file that has mor ethan one worksheet, you will be asked which sheet you want to open.

Obviously if you have a workbook that has multiple sheets, and the sheets relate to one another, (which is likely), you are likely to have a problem.

Depending on how complicated the books are you may have good success opening them, and then saving them again using the spreadsheet in OpenOffice, which does a very fine job of converting sheets, and is free!

Note that any macros are not supported.

hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Zaphod 3 03:56 07 Jan 05

If you have the Excel setup cd for your old pc. Why not install it on the new one.

wiz-king 06:55 07 Jan 05

Works will just about open a single Excel worksheet but not the other way round. Multiple sheets are a no-no as would be most macros so the practical answer is no. As to a way round it would not be easy to find a prog that would convert, so either pay for the MS Office or get OpenOffice. Non-MS progs tend to be more generous in the type of files they will support (they have to be!). I have an old copy of Lotus SmartSuite that I use for converting AmiPro documents to Word and back as all my companies older forms and procedures are in other formats.

Mickey 12345 10:56 07 Jan 05

Thanks to all who replied - unfortunately we don't think we've got the old set-up CD for Excel - we got the machine 2nd hand and it was already on for us.
We may just have to bite the financial bullet on pay for Office on the new machine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…