MS Office Licensing

Admiral Allstar 21:30 08 Jun 05

Hi

If i were to purchase MS Office (any retail version from, say, PCworld or another retailer) and I installed it on my PC, if I then changed my pc, uninstalled office and re-installed it on another pc would this be ok?

z3phyr04 21:35 08 Jun 05

Yes I think it would as long as you uninstalled it from the previous machine. People cannot be expected to buy Microsoft Office twice over because they bought a new pc.

Admiral Allstar 22:35 08 Jun 05

Thanks, just wanted to check.

Forum Editor 23:35 08 Jun 05

you'll be fine, although you may find that when you try to activate the second installation you are referred to a telephone activation process. Just go ahead and follow the prompts.

By the way, did you know that Microsoft are happy for you to install MS Office on one PC and one Laptop under the same licence? Just shows what a cuddly, caring company they are deep down.

ramsay29 23:48 08 Jun 05

And loaded it on my Pc and on two others (sons). Registered online each time with no problems. My reasoning is I bought it so can load it on all pc's in my home. Probably not strictly agreeing to licence but why shouldn't I?

megat193 22:28 09 Jun 05

... because you are in breach of the EULA, which you accepted, perhaps?

Forum Editor 00:14 10 Jun 05

As megat193 says, you are in breach of the EULA if you install the software on additional machines, and although you say "My reasoning is I bought it so can load it on all pc's in my home." You can't do that. You've installed the software on three machines, and if that's OK what about someone who thinks it's OK to do the same on five machines, or on a couple of hundred of networked computers?

Microsoft are quite happy for people to install MS Office on a PC and a laptop, but it stops there as far as they are concerned.

Simsy 08:42 10 Jun 05

but I'm fairly sure that the 2003 version of office allows installation on 3 machines.

As usual I'm open to correction!

Regards,

Simsy

De Marcus 08:54 10 Jun 05

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and
conditions of this EULA:
1.1 Installation and use. You may:
(a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device; and
(b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable device for the exclusive use of the primary
user of the first copy of the Software.

Simsy 13:10 10 Jun 05

Can you confirm whether, or not, you're quoting from the Office 2003 EULA, or an earlier version?

Regards,

Simsy

Joe R 13:21 10 Jun 05

PDF Office 2003 eula

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…