Is MP3Search.ru legal?

Martin : www.nitram.org.uk 00:01 29 Apr 04

I have found this website click here that offers music downloads that I can pay for with my PayPal account. Having read their legal notice, I am convinced that they are a well-meaning company who want to do a good deal for both the record company and the consumer.

Here is their legal notice:
All audio-visual materials are placed on Club.MP3Search.Ru according to conditions of the license agreement (# LS-R,V,Z-01-17 from 31-07-2001) between company "X-Media LTD." and "Russian Organization For Multimedia and Digital Systems" (ROMS). Company "X-Media LTD." makes license deductions for use of all materials, getting under action of the above-stated license agreement.

I was just wondering if this MP3Search.ru is legal in the UK as well?

Forum Editor 01:04 29 Apr 04

which doesn't help me much. Provided the payment includes a copyright fee you should be OK, but I can't say for sure without being able to read the site. Although I go to Moscow on business from time to time my knowledge of Russian is limited to telling an airport taxi driver which hotel I want.

crx1600 01:17 29 Apr 04

have a read of click here

"...a site based in Russia, although there is a link to change to the English version. It pays fees to the Russian Organisation for Multimedia and digital Systems, Roms.ru, which divvies up the takings on behalf of Russian copyright holders.

...The problem is that, according to the recording industry, these sites are breaking the law.

...The issue is that recorded music has three sets of rights to be argued over. The songwriter has the copyright to the song, the artist his own rights in it, and the record label and producers a third set. While these Russian and Spanish sites may be paying the songwriters, via a collection agency, they are acting without the permission of the other copyright holders.

The Russian sites claim that, under Russian law, foreign record labels releasing music in Russia give up their rights to prevent this.

This is a pity. For if a legitimate deal were put in place, the Russian sites would prove far superior to the current European offerings."

the above isn't specifically about mp3search.ru, but it is mentioned at the end of the article.

Martin : www.nitram.org.uk 12:47 29 Apr 04

Sorry, the URL is click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…