MP3 player for gym use

Handy Spinner 15:13 08 Nov 05

Yes, it's another mp3 thread; my apologies, but this query is fairly specific.

I'm looking for an mp3 player for use when running on the treadmill, etc, when in the gym. I'd also be using it in the house when my computer (which is my normal media player) is off.

Bearing those points in mind, could anyone advise me on a player that's:

-got 4GB or more storage space
-jog-proof
-good battery life
-preferably from a recognised brand (Apple, Creative, or iRiver if possible)
-doesn't cost too much!

One that could be plugged into external speakers would be handy as well.

Thanks for your help,

Spinner

bremner 16:40 08 Nov 05

You are better off with a Flash based device rather than a hard drive device.

The Apple Nano is selling like hotcakes and is clearly the leader of the pack. It also fulfils all your requirements. click here

jimmybond 19:08 08 Nov 05

"fulfils all your requirements"
lol - since when did ANY iPod have a good battery life.
doesn't cost too much!?! - the Nano?!? - you have to be kidding, right?

Handy Spinner 20:43 17 Nov 05

Hi guys - thanks for all so far - any further comments? So far, I've had one pro-iPod and one anti-iPod - any further discussion/advice possible?

I'm still looking for a player, though I'm planning on waiting until after Christmas to buy one.

GaT7 21:07 17 Nov 05

A list of players, 4GB & above (sorted by ascending prices) click here. Use the fields/boxes at left to narrow down your search. Good luck with eventual choice & purchase. G

pj123 13:38 18 Nov 05

Have a look at this one. It has no hard drive.
I have the 256mb version. It takes SD and MMC cards. It looks and plays just like an ordinary cassette in any cassette player. Comes with all leads, headphones, two rechargeable batteries and charger and a case.

click here click on the HOT MP3 link and scroll down a bit to the DAH 220.

keewaa 14:43 18 Nov 05

If its for gym use why 4GB? You could get a good creative nano plus 256 for £50, but if you need 4GB the Apple's arent going to be very much more than the rest at that capacity.

4GB and "doesn't cost too much" don't really go together.

mikeeeee 23:36 12 Jan 06

It may not be 4Gig but I think this will exceed your spec in every other department!

The SONORIX OBH-0100 is an ultra light totaly wire free MP3 player with integrated Bluetooth headset.

It is made in the form of a sports 'jogging' headset so you can listen to MP3 tracks whilst working out or jogging and then if you receive an i/c call on your phone if you wish to take the call you can with the press of a single key on the headset pause the music and take the call. You can also initiate calls in the same fashion by 'voice dialing'.

Away from the gym the set can be used with a PC to stream stereo audio, watch DVD soundtracks play games or even couple for VOIP with SKYPE or MS messenger etc.

All this without wires and at half the price of an iPOD Nano!

For full spec ch

mikeeeee 23:42 12 Jan 06

It may not be 4Gig but I think this will exceed your spec in every other department!

The SONORIX OBH-0100 is an ultra light totaly wire free MP3 player with integrated Bluetooth headset.

It is made in the form of a sports 'jogging' headset so you can listen to MP3 tracks whilst working out or jogging and then if you receive an i/c call on your phone if you wish to take the call you can with the press of a single key on the headset pause the music and take the call. You can also initiate calls in the same fashion by 'voice dialing'.

Away from the gym the set can be used with a PC to stream stereo audio, watch DVD soundtracks play games or even couple for VOIP with SKYPE or MS messenger etc.

All this without wires and at half the price of an iPOD Nano!

For pix and a full spec checkout click here

SG Atlantis® 06:20 13 Jan 06

I have just ordered click here

Due to arrive today. Will post you my initial opinions on it later when I get back from work. Pretty cheap for 6gig, no?

v1asco 07:50 13 Jan 06

as Bremner says, a hard drive may not be ideal. Some of them will jump and skip with you in the Gym.

I have the Creative Zen M200 512mb and my kids have Creative Zen Nano Plus 1 gb (as Argos were selling them very briefly for £50 just before Christmas).

The software is Ok, they have a built in FM Radio and voice recorder, use one AAA Battery (no chargers to lug around)and I get a good 8 hours out of that and is smaller than a cigarette lighter. Superb.

Oh yes, you should get +/-500 tracks on the 1gb model.

Taffy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…