MP3, personal walkman type player, recommendations

wint 10:03 02 Dec 03

Good morning!

I am looking for an MP3 walkman. The best one I have seen so far is a Creative "MuVo squared". This is 1.5GB using a hard disk at about £160 inc VAT. I expect it's using a microdrive.

Any better suggestions? The Apple iPod is that bit more than I want to pay at £210.

Thanks,

Wint.

scotty 10:40 02 Dec 03

Sony's CD based MP3 players are worth considering. A CD holds the equivalent of 10-12 albums. A few CDs should hold most peoples collections. Play lists can be included on the CD.

One major consideration should be how the player displays information and how easy it is to find the tracks you want to play. If the display can only show a few characters it is difficult to identify tracks.

wint 13:08 02 Dec 03

Thanks scotty, it is the small physical size and ease/speed of loading audio to the MP3 devices I am after. Particularly small size.

Experience of (a couple of) MP3 CD players also left me a little unhappy with the quality. I can hear the device seeking and loading audio into the RAM to be played out. There is also a little more amp hiss than on a normal CD. I can't remember but I think there is a 4 or 5 minute buffer on the MP3 CD. I can only hear this in classical music & not Kraftwerk etc....

I must say, I haven't tried the Sony MP3 CD.

mikef. 18:46 02 Dec 03

I'd spend a bit more for the Creative Labs Jukebox Zen NX 30GB hard drive for £194.99 from Amazon click here I've got one and it's superb, about the size of a walkman.

wint 21:22 02 Dec 03

Thanks mikef, I have seen the Zen but only at a higher price so I discounted it. That is *certainly* worth looking at.

My concern as above, there is no discernable hiss in the quiet bits?

Cheers.

chrishillcoat 21:23 02 Dec 03

I've got the Sony DNE1 CD player. It's great - and ATRAC can compress to 48kbps and still sound pretty good. Recommended - but it's DRM loaded, so beware!

mikef. 21:39 02 Dec 03

I've never noticed any hiss and I take it everywhere with me including quiet places.So far on mine I've got 211 CD's on it and it's only ½ full!!

MrShane 22:38 02 Dec 03

Hi there, read the review of the Jukebox Zen on Amazon...it seemed to suggest that you wouldn't be able to use this with external speakers. Is this indeed the case? I was surprised to hear this, as I currently use my minidisk this way, connecting it up to a small pair of Phillips speakers or playing it using the Aux setting on my midi system. In both cases the lead plugs into the headphone socket - should this not apply in the same way to the Jukebox Zen?

Hope someone can clarify this!

Thanks,

Shane

MrShane 17:56 03 Dec 03

mikef. 22:11 03 Dec 03

No it's not true I use mine with external active speakers both creatives own which offer superb quality and sometimes a cheapo pair which still offer good quality.

MrShane 12:08 05 Dec 03

Nice one...thanks for that. Will get one in the new year...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…