MP3 Conversion

jerichobob 21:25 08 Feb 04

I need a program which will create MP3 files from CD audio so that I can play them in the car and not have to fiddle around changing discs every 40 mins to an hour. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Rob

jerichobob 21:30 08 Feb 04

Please put this in Consumerwatch.

Sorry.

Won't happen again.

Sorry..

Rob

Sheila-214876 13:29 09 Feb 04

I use a programme called Wismp3 which I got free off a cover disc a very, very long time ago, possibly PC Utilities. According to my "About" the website is click here Not tried it direct from a CD but once they are on the hard disk as .wav files the conversion is very smooth.

Sheila-214876 13:42 09 Feb 04

Still appears to be "Freeware" and can be downloaded from click here

Alternatively, email me and I can send you a copy.

jerichobob 21:19 10 Feb 04

The link doesn't appear to work for some reason? How do I get your e-mail address as that would seem to be the easy option?

Thanks

Rob.

JerryJay 00:19 11 Feb 04

CDex popular and free click here

Sheila-214876 11:20 11 Feb 04

Just click on the envelope next to my name.
Actually the link did work but it seems to minimise it on the taskbar instead of opening the page.

Peverelli 17:41 11 Feb 04

I take it that your car CD player will play mp3s, otherwise it'll be a pointless excercise. Maybe a soundcard that ships with an mp3 ripping program will be suitable, such as the Creative Audigy (about £80).

This might also do the trick click here

You can get it at click here for £32.99

Spanglish 19:40 11 Feb 04

Has anyone used the 'adaptor' that enables you to play any source ( subject to a 3.5mm out ) on a car cassette player? This then means the following:
Only a Radio cassette that is not so attractive to thieves.
Get a small MP3 player that you can then take with you elsewhere
Store the music on Flash Cards ( depending on the player )the software is supplied with the player.
But..... I have yet to try the adaptor, but it may solve jerichbob's problem

jerichobob 19:43 11 Feb 04

Absolutely. Problem is that it is a single cd player and so you have to change them with amazing regularity. This is not advisable whilst driving of course. This leads me to the solution of MP3. The sound quality in the car isn't of paramount importance and you can get many albums on one cd. The player will then treat this cd as a changer unit and will shuffle, change, randomise, etc. Problem solved.

Cheers all

Rob

Lead 21:52 11 Feb 04

I use iTunes (free download) to rip all my Audio CDs and put them on my iPod. (You don't need the iPod to use it.) It's very easy and user friendly.

I then connect my iPod to my car CD player via the Aux-In (phono to phono). Not all car audio units have an Aux-In, if yours doesn't (and if you have a tape player) you can use the aforementioned cassette adapter (the same as you would with a portable CD player).

You could also use an FM Modulator to hook up a portable MP3 player to a car audio head-unit. But the sound quality may be adversly effected. Or you might be able to find a lead that will enable you to connect it to a CD changer socket (if your head-unit has one).

You can also use Nero to rip/convert audio tracks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…