motherboard/cpu upgrade

Beast Warden 16:24 03 Dec 04

I've just won an ATI9800 pro graphics card, Hurah!

But this brings to my dilema, I currently run a AMDxp 1800 on an ASUS A7A266 motherboard, now i know this is a bit crap and this board only supports 4x AGP, wheras the graphics card is 8X AGP.

Is this gonna cause a huge bottle neck or would it be worth all the hassle of upgrading motherboard & CPU ( + possible windows xp re-install hassles as i only have OEM version ie no disks)

Have you guys/gals any suggestions?

Rayuk 18:26 03 Dec 04

Not worth the bother just enjoy your card at 4x I think you will be plerasantly surprised with its performance.
What card did you already have.

gobi 22:14 03 Dec 04

First of all, congratulation. Secondly, I would say go with your need. If you just do office application and play occasional game, it is not worth the upgrade. But if you are into playing fast pace fps or graphic intensive application, it might worth the upgrade. Ebuyer got a PCChip mobo that support AGP8x and your current cpu for about GBP19.99.

gobi 22:14 03 Dec 04

First of all, congratulation. Secondly, I would say go with your need. If you just do office application and play occasional game, it is not worth the upgrade. But if you are into playing fast pace fps or graphic intensive application, it might worth the upgrade. Ebuyer got a PCChip mobo that support AGP8x and your current cpu for about GBP19.99.

Beast Warden 09:07 06 Dec 04

thanks for the response you guys, the pc originaly came with a geforce 2 mx, but i only just upgraded a couple of months ago to a radeon 9600. I use my pc mainly for photo editing & music, but upgraded recently to play Deus Ex invisible war and do play other 3d shooty type games.
Might go down the upgrade suggested by Gobi plus new mother board will have the bonus of USB2 but from what i have read XP will need to be re installed and i can't do that from the OEM disk, any body had any experience of doing this?

Totally-braindead 19:42 06 Dec 04

A lot of the OEM disks are PC specific ie they will work only with the motherboard you have, so I'd just use the new card on the old board, from what I understand on the matter there isn't a huge difference between 4x and 8x graphics cards slots. You would think the 8x would be twice the speed of the 4x but I believe its nearer to 10% faster or something of that sort.

Beast Warden 09:10 07 Dec 04

Thanx all, I think i will leave the upgrade for the time being.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5