Morrison's own brand ink cartridges

Silverbeard 06:27 13 Jun 04

My printer is Epson Stylus Photo 810. It prints quite reasonable photos, but drinks a lot of ink. There are lots of suppliers of cheap compatible cartridges. Over a long period I have tried ink from a number including Aktiv, Choice, etc. But the problem has been clogged jets needing lots of cleaning routines using lots of ink! And photos do not print with true colours maybe because the jets never seem to be completely clear. I have blamed the printer, and on occasion been tempted to throw it in the bin.

Recently our local Morrisons Supermarket has started to sell own brand ink cartridges. Not cheap but still much less than the Epson ones. Colour is £6.99 and Black £5.49. In desperation I tried a pair. After a couple of cleaning routines the jets were completely clear. I'm now on the second lot with no sign of clogging jets, Photos are brilliant true colours and black text sharper and blacker than its been for some time.

I'm not a 100% fan of Morrisons. I'm am very annoyed with them as they have recently stopped stocking low fat ice cream both their own brand and Walls. I like ice cream! - but can only indulge in the low fat types because of cholesterol problems clogging my personal system. However their own brand ink seems worth a try - in a printer!!

Robert

It would be intersting to know who actually makes the Morrison cartridges, since it is unlikely that Morrison manufacture their own, but "rebadge" another manufacturer.It would be ironic if these were made by the same companies that make the Choice,Aktiv etc.
One such manufacturer of compatibles is Static Control
click here.

Stuartli 11:16 13 Jun 04

Morrisons a printer cartridge manufacturer....?

Yes, they are rebranded, as with Tesco et al.

Whoever does the computer related products buying for the Yorkshire based family owned supermarket group (as you will be aware it now includes Safeway) is, like the group itself, very much on the ball.

You can rest assured that any products it sells will be both of excellent quality and at the lowest possible prices.

By the way, you can also still get the JR inkjet cartridge refill packs, both colour and black, at low prices, whilst the superb Imation 52x CD-Rs in packs of 10 with cases are still £5.99 a pack, or three packs for £10.

Never had a coaster yet, from the time they were being sold as 32x, through 48x and now 52x.

Virtually as cheap as buying CD-Rs on a spindle and buying the cases separately, plus the assurance of top quality.

If you read my post you will see that my query was who actually is the ultimate manufacturer of these rebranded cartridges.There is a posiblility that all the different supermarket own brands originate from just one manufacturer.
I know from research work I was engaged in some years ago that a particular very well known top brand of washing powder, was,at the point of manufacture,divided into two.One to the branded cartons, the other to a supermarket own label.I am not sure if this is true today; but am wondering if the same principle exists in the supply of compatible ink cartridges.If I suspect,there is only a handful of manufacturers of compatible inks, then any comparative tests can only be subjective.

pj123 17:38 13 Jun 04

I have never had a problem with compatible ink from Choice Stationery, plus they do give a very good guarantee that if their ink causes a problem with your printer they will repair/replace the printer. At the moment ink from Choice for the Epson 810 is £25.49 for the double quad pack. 4 black and 4 colour works out at £3.18 each plus they are giving a free colour cartridge with every order which brings it down to £2.82 each and that includes VAT and Postage.

Silverbeard 08:21 14 Jun 04

Hi

An interesting thought that Morrisons own brand cartridges comes from the same factory as the others.

I only report what I have found. Maybe it's all my fault - putting the cartridges in upside down or something.

As far as guarantees go, I did tell Aktiv of my problems and got no reply, so I shopped around to see if I could find a better product. Anyway how can you possibly prove that a particular ink has caused damage?

From my reading of various forums ink jet clogging is a common problem causing a lot of desperation. My post was in the hope that it might be of help to fellow sufferers

Thanks for the interesting thought provoking replies.

Robert

P.S. I bought another pair of M. brand cartridges yesterday!

Silverbeard 08:21 14 Jun 04

Hi

An interesting thought that Morrisons own brand cartridges comes from the same factory as the others.

I only report what I have found. Maybe it's all my fault - putting the cartridges in upside down or something.

As far as guarantees go, I did tell Aktiv of my problems and got no reply, so I shopped around to see if I could find a better product. Anyway how can you possibly prove that a particular ink has caused damage?

From my reading of various forums ink jet clogging is a common problem causing a lot of desperation. My post was in the hope that it might be of help to fellow sufferers

Thanks for the interesting thought provoking replies.

Robert

P.S. I bought another pair of M. brand cartridges yesterday!

Silverbeard 08:23 14 Jun 04

Apologies for the double post. I must be developing a finger twitch

R

Stuartli 14:23 14 Jun 04

You did write "..since it is unlikely that Morrison manufacture their own.."

About the only company that doesn't produce own brand/Value/economy type supermarket products in the UK is Kellogs - all the rest undertake such contracts whether it's biscuits, coffee, tea, yoghurts etc.

At one time the Co-op used to have its own factories but, if I remember correctly, decided it was more economical to place own brand contracts with various manufacturers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…