More debate over ID cards

-pops- 14:35 01 Feb 03

I've noticed the above in the "Latest News" section of the forum.

With no disrespect to Ms Brewer, the author, can I ask what this article has to do with the subject matter of the forum?

For information, I am of UK nationality and I already have an identity card - it's called a passport.

Andÿ 15:07 01 Feb 03

}:o(

Forum Editor 15:50 01 Feb 03

You don't have an identity card - a passport is not one, it's a passport. That's a document that requests other nations to allow the person whose photograph appears on it to cross their borders, and it affords a degree of protection from the issuing national government of the day. A passport is issued on request, provided the government is satisfied that the applicant is entitled to the protection it affords. A passport can be withdrawn - you have no automatic 'right' to it.

An identity card is different - the government might eventually take powers to compel all citizens to apply for (and carry) an ID card, and it affords no protected status in any other country. It would identify you to properly empowered government agencies, and you might be required to produce it to a police officer on request. Such a card would carry additional data about you, and it's that aspect of it that makes it of interest to us. Data protection is a hot subject in the computing industry, and is (or should be) of interest to all of us. That's why Wendy Brewer wrote about it.

Does that answer your question?

-pops- 16:00 01 Feb 03

The Data Protection aspect didn't make itself apparent to me.

I have no problem about owning or carrying an I.D card but I maintain that for all intents and purposes my passport contains all the information necessary to identify me, including a photograph.

Brian

Falkyrn 16:57 01 Feb 03

Your driving licence (especially the new photo type) actually carries far more information about you than your passport. Your National Insurance card ... to the right agency ... can also tell far more about you and it is this gathering of information about each of us and its use which has considerable interest

Stuartli 20:43 01 Feb 03

Labour governments always want to control their citizens in as many areas as possible.

The majority of people are perfectly able to provide evidence of who they are by producing a driving licence or similar document; very few people carry their passport around with them and some don't even have one.

In fact it's not a wise move as it can prove very useful to someone with a criminal mind if it falls into their hands.

As for the Data Protection Act, try finding out information about someone or be allowed to check your banking account etc on line or by phone unless you can accurately answer a myriad of security questions. It's a valuable asset for us all.

oresome 13:49 02 Feb 03

"The majority of people are perfectly able to provide evidence of who they are"

This doesn't include my wife, who attempted to open a bank account the other week.
With no passport, or utility bills in her name, this proved almost impossible despite living at the same address for nineteen years.
It got me wondering and I've been married to her for thirty years!

Tenner 17:15 02 Feb 03

Whilst I have no political axe to grind, I just thought the following article might be of interest, written by somebody with first-hand experience of the situation :

click here

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…