Monitor warranty

boxclever 01:29 26 Nov 03

Bought a monitor two years ago from PC World. I didn't take out an extended warranty because I had been told they're not worth bothering with. The monitor has stopped working. Am I entitled to a replacement from PC World or the manufacturer. I know they don't cost a great deal but it's the principle of the thing.

boxclever 01:43 26 Nov 03

looking at my message it looks like i'm being unreasonable after two years but the answer I received from PCW was that monitors are not worth repairing and it seems a shame to dump it when it may be something that can be easily fixed.

art42 02:01 26 Nov 03

most monitor manufacturers give a three year warranty on a swap out basis depends on the maker, go directly to them, there usually pretty good.

Colin 13:29 27 Nov 03

As art42 says, it is best to contact the manufacturer direct.I had an ADI Microscan monitor branded as a Viglen that failed after 2 years. I e-mailed ADI and a refurbished replacement was sent out and the faulty monitor collected at the same time. Excellent service. If you don't know the name of the actual manufacturer, type the model number, usually on a silver strip at the back of the monitor, into Google and it should come up.

boxclever 20:53 28 Nov 03

Thanks for all the help. The bottom line is Samsung give a 3 year warranty - Proview only 1 year. I presume that my contract is with Proview.
so I am looking to dumpit unless any one has any better ideas. Shame though it's a nice looking monitor. Once again thanks for all the help. I'll put this to bed now.

Forum Editor 22:57 28 Nov 03

it was with PC World. They're right when they say that, broadly speaking a two year old monitor probably wouldn't be worth repairing. The cost of the repair would almost certainly be more than a new monitor. Nevertheless, a monitor shouldn't stop working after two years, and i think it might be worth pushing it a bit with PC World - on the basis that an item like this should last longer than it has.

DieSse 23:42 28 Nov 03

click here

How to contact Proview - maybe you will find there is a 3 year warranty.

bfoc 23:56 28 Nov 03

As FE says your contract is with PCWorld.

As the latest issue of Which? makes clear any product should last a 'reasonable' time and the retailer can be liable for repairs for up to six years!

Of course you would need to show that the Monitor was faulty at time of sale, but that might not be too difficult if you have a handy repair shop around.

However whether you think it worth your time is another matter.

As the FE says you could just try pushing PCW a bit harder. If you want you could try their Head Office, which is what Which? recommended, as 87% of shops 'tested' in a mystery shopper style survey, wouldn't admit they might be responsible for faults after 1 year!

ihatedell 00:49 29 Nov 03

Buy a monitor from NEC. Their warranty, service and customer support is second to none.

boxclever 08:45 29 Nov 03

Cheers for all the help. Better half is sick of me moaning so has bought me a new one for Xmas. Reluctantly decided to scrap the old one but still have a feeling that I've lost and they've won.

spuds 13:08 29 Nov 03

You may generally find, that purchasing a monitor from different retail outlets,will result in some form of different warranty procedures.So it is always best to check first. Quite a number of monitor manufacturers offer a 3 year on-site swop out or rtb facilities.But places like PCW usually offer a 1 year warranty, with an extention for future years via their own servicing arrangement [extended warranties]. Due to the retailers and manufacturers contractual arrangement,you may find that the manufacturer will not or cannot offer further assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…