Monitor for £100: Please advise....

Kypros 12:13 26 Apr 04

I have an elderly neighbour who is relying on me to sort out a good monitor, as she is using my spare Phillips 17" 107T CRT right now. She cannot really afford over £100, and I had decided to get her a CTX EX700F for about £80+ online. But then I noticed the CTX EX700F plus (about £5 more) with a different dot pitch (higher?) and some bad reviews. Now I'm in a right mess: CTX give a 3year swap out, but is that the way to go? And why would their slightly more expensive monitor have a dot pitch of 25mm while the other has a 21mm dot pitch? Talk about confusion!!
I am really desperate to please, having given her my word, and any input, extra info, etc., about buying a monitor that you can offer would be very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Sir Radfordin 12:29 26 Apr 04

click here

click here

For some second-user options.

Stuartli 13:02 26 Apr 04

You can buy new 17in and 19in monitors for under £100 these days from online retailers such as Scan (click here) from top brands such as LG, iiyama and Samsung.

Often, on its TodayOnly page, monitors are offered at even lower prices.

It may also be worth a perusal of those at click here in Preston.

Aspman 13:05 26 Apr 04

Dabs Value 17" monitor.

Is usually an AOC monitor. Perfectly usable with 3 year warranty.

£69.99 including VAT. Add your delivery and you are still well under £100.

We recently bought about 30 of these to fit out a classroom. We have had one failure replaced quickly with a swop out monitor. Good for the price.

Or

Relisys flatscreen for £87

Lots on Dabs for under a ton.

Stuartli 13:10 26 Apr 04

RDC is a good company but, after you've chosen your monitor, ordered it, completed the initial order security check which requires sending it at least two forms of identification and then added shipping costs, it's almost as expensive as buying a new one.

On the other hand, ordering from Scan, dabs or similar means brand new and delivered to your door the next day...:-)

961 13:30 26 Apr 04

I can confirm that the Dabs Value Monitors are good and excellent value

I would buy the flat screen jobby which is slightly more than the cheapest but worth the extra

Sir Radfordin 18:50 26 Apr 04

The price that RDC quote included the P&P and VAT which is not common and saves any nasty shocks.

Quite why you have such a problem with sending two pieces of ID to them I'll never understand. There are no costs to add and you can actually speak to them on the phone unlike Dabs ;)

Totally-braindead 18:58 26 Apr 04

You might want to think of a second hand one but of course theirs risks with that in that you only get a 30 day guarantee. Have a look at
click here
You can get a 17" monitor for £34.99 plus postage

Kypros 22:56 26 Apr 04

I repeat...." and I had decided to get her a CTX EX700F for about £80+ online. But then I noticed the CTX EX700F plus (about £5 more) with a different dot pitch (higher?) and some bad reviews. Now I'm in a right mess: CTX give a 3 year swap out, but is that the way to go? And why would their slightly more expensive monitor have a dot pitch of 25mm while the other has a 21mm dot pitch?"
Please would anyone advise as to the difference between these two: I am not going to get her a second hand monitor...it's too risky because this is NOT for me, it has to be fairly good and under a long gaurantee...hence CTX. I would appreciate advice from those who don't answer nearly every question on this forum, even if it takes forever.

Sir Radfordin 23:19 26 Apr 04

Reading the comments at Ebuyer click here if it were me buying the monitor I would be put off. Whatever people think of Ebuyer as a company they do seem to have some fairly honest reviews on things. In the past stuff that has been said to be good has been, and I've avoided the stuff with a lower rating.

The lower the dot picth the sharper the image though I very much doubt anyone could spot the difference between two without looking very cloesly. Much more likely to make a difference is the maximum refresh rate that can be handled.

I hate recommending 'buys' for anyone else for the reasons you suggest you do. I would make it very plain to the person in question you have done your best to find the best price/spec from a company that can be trusted but things can still go wrong.

Generally CTX have a good reputation and you could do worse than buy one of their monitors. Some people are a lot more fussy than others when it comes to such things. I've always been happy with what I've been given but I'm appreciative like that ;)

Sorry if I've answered too many questions for your liking but such is life.

Sir Radfordin 23:24 26 Apr 04

PS: Looking at the CTX site quickly (click here) they list a 17" EX700F and an EX701F

The EX701F is marginally better and if you aren't paying a massive preimum for that then I would opt for that one but the difference is so small no-one would really notice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…