Mobile phone roaming charges

anchor 10:03 29 Mar 06

I read in today`s newspaper that the European Commission have plans to cap the excessive charges for making and receiving calls when abroad. The Commission wants to reduce by 40 and 60 per cent.

These proposals would need approval by the European Parliament and national governments; lets hope this won`t take years.

Meantime this EU site gives information about roaming costs.

anchor 10:05 29 Mar 06

Oops!, forgot to post the link to the EU site:

click here

anchor 10:09 29 Mar 06

This is the main article in "The Times"; other newspapers cover the same story.

click here

spuds 10:56 29 Mar 06

Regarding 'Roaming tariffs'.There was a television programme on a few months ago, and it was showing some of the problems that people were experiencing.In one case out of many, using your mobile at one particular spot in a pub car park near to the borders of North and Southern Ireland, resulted in different 'international' tariffs being charged, depending on where you were standing in the car park.

When the people checked on this, due to various rates showing on their billing, they were totally dumbfounded. Possibly pays not to walk and talk, especially in pub car parks. X marks the spot, for the cheapest rates !.

anchor 11:27 29 Mar 06

I just read this on the Daily Telegraph site:

"Vodafone recently scrapped roaming charges for its Irish customers visiting Northern Ireland and the rest of Britain".

No mention of the other way round; UK customers visiting the Republic.

anchor 16:43 30 Mar 06

I see from the latest PCA newsletter they have also covered this story:

click here

anchor 16:47 30 Mar 06

Reading between the lines, it appears that any action on this will be years away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…