mobile phone internet

Smokeyone 09:37 AM 27 Apr 09

I thinking of getting an HTC all singing and dancing pda phone. If anyone has an internet enabled phone can you actually see what you are doing on such a small screen - for instance - could you actually book a flight -
The HTC screen size is 2.8 inches

AlouetteIII 12:09 PM 27 Apr 09

I can barely see it on my 19in monitor, but that could be an age thing!

interzone55 13:12 PM 27 Apr 09

I couldn't possibly comment on the visibilty, but I've been looking at mobile internet deals and some of the supposedly "unlimited mobile internet" offers have caps as low as 50mb a month, so check the usage limits on any contract before you sign anything...

Woolwell 14:50 PM 27 Apr 09

I have an HTC with a slightly smaller screen than the one you are considering. It is ok for sites that are set up for mobiles ie have a version for PDA. I find it is hopeless for other sites as you have to scroll around too much and cannot see enough. It depends on which site you want to book a flight and how it has been set up.

dms_05 15:40 PM 27 Apr 09

Depends upon which browser you use. If you download and run Opera for Mobiles it loads the full page and you can enlarge small areas by tapping on the touch screen on my HTC. This makes all the page very readable but is slightly slower than browsing on a full size screen.

Woolwell 16:46 PM 27 Apr 09

I think that you have to pay for Opera for Mobiles whilst Opera Mini is free.

Pauldunstan 18:02 PM 27 Apr 09

I've found opera mini quite easy to use on a 176x220 screen as long as there is no java content on the page.

Forum Editor 19:07 PM 27 Apr 09

click here

and the screen is fine for browsing - as long as you're not planning a long session. I haven't used it to book a flight yet, but I reckon I could do it without too much hassle - my phone has a very good zoom tool.

laurie53 20:00 PM 27 Apr 09

Speaking personally the answer to the basic question is No!

Might use it in an emergency, but not for normal choice.

However, I am retired and therefore much of my time is spent within range of my router, with a laptop to hand!

Smokeyone 07:24 AM 28 Apr 09

Thanks all for the advice. I was not planning on making a habit of booking flights from the phone but it's the sort of thing that could well crop up.
I am actually thinking of getting this HTC so if anyone has any comments -
click here

interzone55 09:10 AM 28 Apr 09

Never used an HTC phone, but here's a review from The Register, 88% which is a good score...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11