Mobile Phone - faulty

Sir Radfordin 11:42 15 Aug 03

I've had an Orange Samsung A800 since January and it now has a fault with the screen light not coming on.

I spoke to Orange yesterday who said I had to speak to Samsung who would arrange for it to be repaired under warranty.

Rang Samsung this morning who said I would have to speak to their Repair Centre. So I did that and they have said they would repair it but it will have to be sent to them and could be away for 5 - 7 days. In the meantime I would be without a phone.

What is the best course of Action to take as I can't really be without my phone for that long. I don't have "Orange Care" as I've got the phone insured elsewhere.

My next move is to go to the local Orange shop but just wanted to clarify what I could expect them to do and what I am entitled to have from them?

TechMad 11:47 15 Aug 03

Can you not buy a cheap phone to use while the phone is away?

TechMad 11:50 15 Aug 03

I have got a "Just Talk" plan phone for £50 and just top up with the swipe card. You won't be charged when you don't use it.

Sir Radfordin 11:56 15 Aug 03

For the simple reason that I don't need another phone, and object to paying £50 for a phone because mine is faulty.

I think the Sale of Goods Act may have something to say here. If a phone has a 12 month contract then you should be able to expect the phone to last the full lenght of that contract.

You have no comeback on anyone. If your insurance company does not provide a replacement then TechMad's comment seems to be the only option for you.

Forget the Orange shop; they are run on a franchise basis and not even under the direct control of "Orange" as such. If they did not actually sell you the phone they wont be interested and even if they did, you did not take out Orange Care (which would have generated next day replacement) and Samsung are repairing the phone for you - what is there to complain about?

Try the same situation with Dabs (Only as an example) I had a faulty mobo and returned it to them for replacement. This took SIX WEEKS and if it were not for the fact that I managed to borrow a mobo from a local shop I would have been stuck. No comeback and they did eventually replace it but in the meantime........not anything you can do.

Sir Radfordin 12:11 15 Aug 03

I paid £50 to upgrade an old phone (on contract) to the Orange shop where I live, so my understanding is they are the ones who I should be able to deal with over a faulty product?

The actual mobile contract on the sim card is with Orange, but that bit is fine.

Don't really fancy going through the Insurance company on this but it may be an option.

Sir Rad (I did not realise it was you when I posted and was typing while you replied to TechMad).

The SOG allows for repairs and replacements to be made without any form of "Compensation" etc providing that they are done in "reasonable" time. In your situation, seven days would seem reasonable.

As to Orange, I am having a battle royal with them at the moment so know just how you feel. I have a fault with my SPV that has been present since new. It has now been labled a "Feature" and therefore they will not replace it. (if I go out of network coverage while the keypad is locked it will not reconnect to the network, instead I have to reboot the phone to reconnect) Yesterday I "Missed" eight calls about my father who is seriousely ill, simply due to the fact that earlier I had gone out of coverage (Train tunnel). This, to me, means the phone is not fit for purpose, has a recognised fault and even with Orange care they will not do anything!

I wish you the best but am afraid you are onto a loser.

Ask the orange shop to "Lend" you a demo phone while yours is away (offer to pay a deposit if necessary or leave your card details with them) and suggest that this might just encourage you to upgrade again. Best you can hope for I feel.

soy 12:32 15 Aug 03

Hi Sir Radfordin,

I too have a samsung A800 phone with exactly he same problems as you. Mine however was on Pay as you go. At the first the blue light wouldn't come on when you open the phone, then soon after the whole screen wouldn't come on. All i'm left with is a blank screen and Me navigating my way through the menus blind! lol.

I would say to get the phone repaired as soon as possible otherwise it may get worse!

Fortunately I now have the samsung v200.

If you don't want to be without your phone whilst its being repaired, you can call up Orange customer services and ask for all calls to your mobile to be diverted to another mobile or your home phone number.

Hope this helps,

John T

Sir Radfordin 12:33 15 Aug 03

Tell me about it! Had a 'discussion' with them about the last phone after they claimed it was considered that 1 month was a reasonable lenght of time for it to last!!

I'll let you know the outcome, hope to hear yours is resolved sometime soon.

tbh72 15:15 15 Aug 03

With Nokia, you have two choices. 1, take it to an authorised repair centre "This was great until it closed down, 20 miles to the nearest one" or 2, return it through the post.

I would imagine that all Mobile's have a similiar system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…