MIXING SATA AND ATA ON AN ASUS A7N8X2.0

tunneller 17:19 02 Jan 04

My boot drive is an SATA drive (Maxtor 120g). I also have a DVD rewriter and DVD player connected to one of the ATA sockets.
I now want to connect what was the secondary drive on my old PC to my new one. This is an ATA133 Maxtor 120g.
The problem is that it either isn't recognised , or IS recognised (DVD's disconnected, and the ATA configured as master)but then the SATA isn't recognised and the system trys to boot from the ATA133 (not a boot drive). Don't quite know where to go from here, except to perhaps buy an ATA to SATA converter?? All my data etc is on the ATA133 so I really would like to connect it.

Steve- 18:14 02 Jan 04

This might help!

ASUS a7n8X Delux M/Board.

I run a Maxtor SATA drive as "C" and have IDE drives connected and recognised, I have to tell my BIOS to boot from SCSI or it will try to boot from the IDE and not see the SATA. Also when I upgraded to the latest Nvidia Unified drivers v 3.13 the computer refused to acknowledge the existance of the IDE drive even though it was connected and had been working, after reverting back to the prvious version all was OK, I then noticed that during the loading of the v3.13 it gives an option to not load a certain configuration saying "no" to this option sorted the problem.

tunneller 21:36 13 Jan 04

I think I have found the answer - I created the drive I am trying to attach with XP Pro & my new system has XP Home. The disk shows up as status Foreign & XP Home can't cope with that. If I load XP Pro again it should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now