Misleading Advertising+ terrible support from Time

luck___ 10:31 24 Apr 03

After seeing an advert for a time computer at the start of April that stated it contained a New Geforce FX 128mb card i purchased it under the assumption that this card would be the FX5800 (the only model available at the time). However when the computer arrived on Tuesday it contained the budget version of the card that was only released well after the advert appeared and after i placed my purchase. There were also several faults with the machine so that certain components would not work out of the box and many components had no documentation. I attempted to contact Time by email but the website stated that I needed a Warranty number; I contacted the customer support at Time who stated that I did not have a warranty (which I do have) so i couldn’t contact them and must phone their 50p a minute line. After a time surveyor contacted me i told him of the issues and he said that he had spoken to the technical support staff for me and that I should contact the customer services. After being sent round in a circle for two days, mislead and not having my faxes returned i am contemplating returning the machine but would much rather have the components that the advert implied. Do I have any legal standing in this position to demand a replacement or make a compensation claim for the delivery costs if I have to return the machine? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

mikef™ 10:51 24 Apr 03
  mikef™ 10:53 24 Apr 03

Forgot to say you'll need your order number and all the details.

Sir Radfordin™ 11:17 24 Apr 03

Firstly you should not have assumed anything. You should have fully checked the specification of the machine you were buying. The advert did not state that the PC had a FX5800 if you information is correct, so you should not have assumed that this was the case.

As mikef has suggested, contact Chris and see if he can help. He is normally pretty good at getting things sorted.

If the PC does have problems with it that prevent it from working then you would have the right to reject it under the sale of goods act.

mcullum_DX4Life 11:58 24 Apr 03

The GeForceFX 5200 may not have been available through retail channels at the time, but it has been available to OEM channels for over a month.

Never ever assume, you should have made sure of the details before you purchased the computer.

mole44 12:45 24 Apr 03

evesham,you should go there.will you all never learn,even at a pinch pc world there ok

Time Group - Chris 13:06 24 Apr 03

Thanks for your post - I also received an e-mail with a similar complaint today and I assume that you must be the same person.

Your complaint is being looked at by my team and I will have a response for you soon.

Cheers - Chris

Sir Radfordin™ 13:43 24 Apr 03

A respone in 2.5 hours isn't too bad, even Time must spend time doing other things than watching this site!

BlitZace 14:06 24 Apr 03

Recently my friend phoned Time asking about a PC system for £799 with a Geforce FX 5800 Card. The system seemed amazing for the price and he phoned up straight away. After a lengthy phonecall with a CS rep he found out that this wasn't the price at all. Infact... the system was only £799 without any warranty, no customer support, no disks or manuals, just the system itself and nothing else! The real price for everything was actually something like £1150. £350 more than advertised! I mean, who in their right mind would pay £800 for a system with no backup whatsoever? This seems extremely misleading to me and I worry that many customers have purchased this system under false pretences. JT

Time Group - Chris 15:48 24 Apr 03

The £799 Powerstation Plus came with standard 1yr RTB warranty, a customer service contact number (national rate) and full manuals.

The system was only a base unit but it was top-of-the-range.

This PC was not advertised under any false pretences (otherwise the ASA would have had something to say) and we never advertised it with a GeForce FX 5800. Customers had the option of calling us for advice or even visiting The Computer World to take a look at one if they had any queries.

We only offer high quality PCs at great value prices and I firmly believe that you would have been hard pushed to find such a fantastic PC at that price.

Cheers - Chris

BlitZace 16:15 24 Apr 03

So can you please explain why my friend was told this on 2 seperate occasions, by 2 different CS reps? And also why he was told it would cost around £1150 with 3 years RTB warranty? JT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…