Misleading ad from Komplett

videopoet 10:36 14 Dec 03

Hi, can I ask other people's opinions on this?

I ordered an Asus V9250 GeForce FX 5200 graphics card from Komplett after seeing A HREF="click here">this ad A>. I particularly took note of the wording "while dual-DVI connectors and 2 DVI to VGA adaptors provide diversified display connectivity" as I run a dual crt monitor setup.

When the card arrived it was obvious that it would not run two crt monitors. A phone call to Komplett produced the promise of an investigation and call back - which never happened. Neither did I recieve any reply to two e-mails. Finally a second phone call produced the question "So what is wrong, is the adapter lead missing". When I explained that there was no adapter lead meant to be there because the card does not run two monitors, a refund was offered. I asked for the full amount paid to be refunded to my credit card, and after the usual discussion about P&P not being refunded, settled on a refund plus a discount off my next order.

What I got was an e-mailed credit note (for the full amount but obviously not covering the cost of returning the goods).

I am still not happy. I think Komplett should credit my credit card with the full amount I have spent, including the cost of returning the goods. What do you think?

IanI

videopoet 10:41 14 Dec 03

It seems the link doesn't work - it gets redirected to Komplett's home page. If you would like to see the ad its under 'Graphics Cards/AGP' and its the one currently shown at £52.29. Sorry...

Stuartli 10:58 14 Dec 03

Get onto your credit card company, tell them the facts and it will sort it out for you - it should also refund the returns cost after you provide the receipt.

Forum Editor 11:01 14 Dec 03

and under current legislation you are entitled to a full refund (on two counts actually - the distance selling regulations apply as well). You agreed not to claim the cost of postage so you can't backtrack on that, but you can (and should) insist on the full cost of the goods being refunded to your card immediately - there should be no debate about this.

Feel free to forward my comments to Komplett if you wish.

videopoet 11:37 14 Dec 03

Pretty much what I thought and intended, but the confirmation is much appreciated.

Regards

IanI

Stuartli 16:39 14 Dec 03

Despite the FE's comments - and I appreciate why he has made the observation - you should not be bullied into paying the returns cost.

Komplett made the error in its description and is therefore responsible for putting matters right.

You clearly based your purchase on the written description of the graphics card's features and are therefore entitled to be recompensed in full for your additional costs.

The other side of the argument of course, is that you should always carry out thorough research on the product you wish to purchase- retailers do make genuine mistakes from time to time.Yes the legislation is on your side if you have been mislead on your purchase; but I would much rather avoid the hassle to start with.My first port of call is to read magazine reviews, followed by a look at the manufacturers site.
Videopoet will no doubt eventually get back everything he is asking for, but in the process will have lost two or three weeks, a period when he could have been enjoying a new graphic card - all for the want of a little homework.

Forum Editor 18:22 14 Dec 03

I found this:

"The latest "ASUS Smart Cooling" technology ensures a quiet computing environment, while dual-DVI connectors and 2 DVI to VGA adaptors provides diversified display connectivity."

as part of the description for this card, when checking
click here who are main distributors for Asus.

The plot thickens?

videopoet 19:03 14 Dec 03

would appear to be that some retailers (eg Komplett and Landmarq) are using a description which refers to the specs of an entire range of cards, to advertise items at the bottom end of that range which do not support all the features mentioned.

Electron99's comment is perfectly fair - ironically I usally do just that but on this occasion I was in a hurry :-). What I do find annoying is that despite a member of their own sales staff making the same mistake I did, Komplett are still showing the same description.
O.K. maybe everyone else who has viewed that ad did their additional research - my point is I shouldn't have to spend extra time doing that. If it doesn't support dual monitors the ad shouldn't say that it does!

Stuartli 08:55 15 Dec 03

It's not always possible to have the benefit of hindsight and, even if videopoet had done what you suggested, based on the FE's second posting it would have made no difference to the outcome.

In 99% of the cases it would have made a difference to the outcome - or are you advocating doing no research at all when making a purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos