Mis- selling from Laptops Direct (easy computers)

El Wappo 16:26 20 Jun 05

I recently bought a laptop and some other items from Laptops Direct (£1,522.00 worth) while I was on Holiday in the UK at the beginning of June one of the items was a Hauppage Win TV Nova USB Digital Terrestial Freeview TV tuner which the sales man told me that this would receive Sky Digital TV broadcasts, when I got home (after 7 days) I tried the tuner and found it would not tune in to any of the Sky TV channels. I contacted the Hauppage support line and was informed that this was the wrong tuner!
Several e mails and telephone calls to easy computers later, only to be told that I did not return the unit within 7 days (quite difficult because I was on holiday)so they can not exchange it nor give me a refund! my reply to this was that this was sold to me on the advice of your salesman their answer, we do not know what conversation took place between you and our salesman!I get the impression that I am been ripped off here, am I in the wrong? any advice would be appreciated G Green

spuds 00:15 21 Jun 05

You do not state where you actually live, as this could make a difference as to the advice offered.

In general the UK consumer laws are similar, so I would suggest that the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 [as amended] may apply. click here

Doe's the packaging that the item was packed in, suggest that it will work and tune into the Sky channels that you use.Doe's the manufacturer state that they have a product suitable as a replacement to the item you purchased. Was the salesman given exact details of your requirements.

You also mention the 7 day return procedure, and certain points need to be taken into consideration. The item was purchased as a direct sale, so the Consumer Protection [Distance Selling] Regulations 2000 would not apply, and it would appear that the shop was offering the 7 day returns as part of their trading terms. You being on holiday for 7 days or more and not being able to try out the item, as no bearing on this fact, unless the company have printed and published terms which state differently.

Here is another link that may help click here

BRYNIT 02:25 21 Jun 05

The only way to view sky channels is with a sky digi box, Dish and a viewing card. The only channels you would recieve with the TV Nova USB Digital Terrestial Freeview TV tuner or any other card would be the free view channels.

Stuartli 13:54 21 Jun 05

Hauppauge, Twinhan etc all make separate digital terrestial (i.e. Freeview) and satellite PCI or external USB TV cards

Twinhan is also about to launch an A+V Freeview version which will also bring in the normal analogue TV and FM stereo radio stations - see click here.

As you were incorrectly advised, then the company must replace the card with the correct version and without quibble as you clearly stated your requirements.

However, digital terrestial transmissions are available in many countries so the card could still be of use to you, although obviously not for Sky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…