Minimum specs for Windows 7 Laptop

davecooper 17:58 23 Mar 14

I am going to replace my current ageing XP laptop and before I consider anything, I would like to have an idea of the sort of specification I need. I want Windows 7, I use it all day at work so want something familiar. I don't do any gaming or video editing etc but do use sound recording and writing software such as Audacity, Guitar Pro, Cakewalk Sonar etc. I also have a couple of websites I update regularly. Apart from that it is all the normal stuff, iTunes, MS Office, emails, web browsing. Is there anything I should be considering with regards to processor speed, RAM, graphics etc. HDD will be 500GB+, screen 15"+ but battery life is unimportant as is size and weight, the machine will not go out of the house.

Woolwell 18:12 23 Mar 14

Your first snag is getting a W7 laptop without having W8. The major manufacturers will supply with W8. You may well need to look at companies like Novatech to get a W7 laptop or remove W8 and then install W7 which may not be easy.

spuds 19:58 23 Mar 14

You could check out Ebuyer, who sell a number of operating system free machines, mainly Zoomstorm products.

Not sure if Dell still supply operating system or own choice laptop's nowadays. I know previously they did, including giving the buyer the option of specifying a selection of own build parts.

davecooper 11:37 24 Mar 14

A work colleague has done a good job of persuading me to go the 8.1 route. If I do, it will certainly make life easier from a buying point of view. I am sure I will get used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…