Mini survey - credit card fraud

Forum Editor 07:04 03 Oct 03

I'm interested to know if anyone has had their credit card details used fraudulently as a result of Internet use.

As you may have heard, the new (to the UK) system of using a PIN for card transactions will start to enter the market shortly, following a successful trial period in selected locations. This will only apply to 'Cardholder present' transactions however. Online (cardholder not present) transactions will continue to be based on the presentation of the cardholder's address, card number, and in some cases the securtiy number from the back of the card.

Many Credit card experts think that the PIN system will have a dramatic effect on fraud figures, and that this will lead fraudsters to concentrate more on online card use. Time will tell if they're right, but in the meantime please let us know if your card has ever been used fraudulently as a result of online use. I'm only interested in actual fraud - not the disclosure of card details in error, or other data protection slip-ups.

Sir Radfordin 09:42 03 Oct 03

Never had a problem and I have used a credit card for 95% of purcahses both online and off-line over the last 2 years.

Increasingly I seem to notice that cashiers aren't checking signatures (often been given the card back before I've signed) so the pin system will be great.

anchor 09:48 03 Oct 03

The PIN system for 'Cardholder present' transactions has been in use in France for at least 10 years. This has resulted in a dramatic reduction in credit card fraud.

As far as I am aware, this has not resulted in any significant increase in secure "online" transaction fraud in France. This method is much safer than the method currently used in the UK, where anyone can copy the users details from transaction slips. I also know of a case where my French friends details were copied by a staff member in a restaurant at Heathrow, and sold on for card cloning.

keenan 10:43 03 Oct 03

Never experienced any problems to date,and if the new PIN introduction is removing the 'human' element of the transaction- then it can only be a good thing.
No signature to see -none to copy.
The sooner we all have them the better!

tbh72 11:09 03 Oct 03

I too have never had a problem. I must say that I am quite happy with the new introduction of the chip & pin combination. For some reason my best friend the "magnetic strip" is usually the first thing which causes call for a card replacement. This should make the cards more durable.

Thinking about the impending online credit card fraud - would it not be appropriate for the CC companies to stop printing the 3 digit number on the back of the card instead sending it seperately for use as an extra security feature. Certainly the cost to impliment this would be minimal.

Regards
T

MichelleC 11:19 03 Oct 03

Not strictly related, but;

I had someone in Los Angles use my card no. in a store for £400 when I was across the other side in Miami. CC company said they'd got my details online. CC co paid, not me and gave me another card, no probs.

Dogger 11:23 03 Oct 03

I have used the internet to purchase many items over the last 8 years, and as yet have had no problems at all, but you should always be on your guard, and aware of what is going on around you.

Pappyon 11:33 03 Oct 03

I received a phone call from my credit card company some months ago about a transaction they thought was a bit "iffy" because of the larger than usual sum of money involved. It transpired that my card detils had been used in a fraudulent transaction valued at over £460.
It happened just after I had paid my television licence online. Whether this was a coincidence I have no idea. I believe I posted about this on here at the time.

I always keep receipts from shops that might have my full card number on them, and never use my card in a restaurant, (not that I'm in a restaurant very often), so I can only deduce that my details were culled on the internet.

Nevertheless I still shop online.

ajm 11:40 03 Oct 03

On the few occassions that I have had to purchase online and pay large amounts, sometimes sums totalling £2000-3000 in a space of two or three days, Halifax have always phoned me to check whether the transactions were genuine. Only after confirming it, did they authorise the transaction.

Smaller transactions were also used to buy stuff from Ebay and payment made using Paypal. on a few occassions Halifax phoned me and confirmed the transactions with me.

Always pay by credit card for online purchases as i believe you are much better protected. Maybe someone can care to expand on this matter..

keenan 12:50 03 Oct 03
  pj123 14:47 03 Oct 03

No, I have not had any problems with credit card transactions on the internet. I must also add that I use a separate card that only has a very small credit limit, maximum £250.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…