Mini DV or DVD

TJ Macintosh 19:10 14 Jun 05

hI there everyone, I am in need of a camcorder very very soon, and I am slightly confused at which type to buy. I have only a budget of £500. My concern is whether to go for a Mini DV camcorder for £499 or a DVD Camcorder for £499. I do like the features on the Sony DCR-HC42 Mini DV Camcorder, however the DVD camcorder, is a new thing, does this make it better? Should I go for the newer technology or the older one? Although Mini DV is not really old, it appears to be extremely poular. I have no preferences for a DVD Camcorder, as I have not looked at them properly, all I know is that I can get one for the same price as a Mini DV camcorder.

So basically which type is better the Mini DV (specifically the DCR-HC42 or any DVD camcorder which falls in the same £500 price bracket.

TomJerry 11:58 16 Jun 05

Camcorder use DVD is not new thing and also not new technology.

If you want new technology, you need to wait until Sept. for new JVC release for their 30Gb or 20GB hard disc model

MiniDV use tape to store video in "avi" format which is uncompressed video format. If you want to transfer it into DVD discs, you need to have a relatively powerful PC to reencode to mepg2 format and then burn to DVD.

DVD camcorder use mini DVD discs to store video in compressed mpeg2 format. You should be able to play it in normal DVD player. Sony's mini DVD disc is relativly expensive at the moment.

If you want "new" technology and cannot wait until Sept., you can get a JVC model which use 4GB Microdrive (or compact flash) to store 1 hour video.

JVC GZ-MC100 £524 click here. Great toy, one problem, the video quality for low light is not good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…