Mini disc or MP3?

mikegm6 17:53 17 Nov 03

I want to buy an mp3 player for use in the gym. What is the difference between mp3 & minidisc. I guess mp3 is purer sound? Also what are WMA files?

Kate B 18:20 17 Nov 03

I'd go for a hard-drive mp3 player - you can have zillions of tracks at your fingertips, no need to swop minidiscs in mid-workout. I use a 30GB iPod and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

WMA is the Microsoft format for ripping tracks. It's thought to be better than mp3, but few players support it.

bremner 18:57 17 Nov 03

The main advantage of an mp3 player is that you don't have to carry around disks, cassettes etc. The music is stored on a drive on the player. click here for an idea of whats available.

koko 19:16 17 Nov 03

Hi I have had a creative jukebox 2 player for over 12 months and think its great i am looking for another creative mp3 player with prob 30gb hard drive for my partner.

DONT BE CONNED INTO BUYING ONE OF THOSE DAFT MP3 MACHINES THAT ONLY HAVE 128MB OF CARD MEMORY , TO MANY STORES DONT KNOW ABOT THE GOOD HARD DRIVE ONES.

mikef. 20:05 17 Nov 03

I've got the Creative Zen and wouldn't be without it, it's "only" a 20GB memory but I've got 203 Cd's on it and it's still only 2/3rds full.
I'd recommend it to any one. £199 from click here or the new 60 GB £299 click here

accord 20:13 17 Nov 03

if you havent got a minidisc hifi then go for the mp3, if you have then its 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other.

Minidisc is old hat, slower, and is only 75mins long. mp3 is new, fast and can stores shed loads of tracks.

Ive got a minidisc player and very rarely use it now. It was good a the time though.

chrishillcoat 22:37 17 Nov 03

I'd suggest a CD player like my Sony DNE1, but it wouldn't be any good at the gym. Neither, I might imagine, would a hard drive player! You can get solid-state MP3 players which are expandable with memory cards, though I don't know them that well. Please click here to see what's around.

I sold my minidisc player last month. It was good in its time.

Peverelli 08:40 18 Nov 03

No, the data on mp3 is more compressed than minidisc.

I've had a minidisc player for a few years but if I was shopping around now, I'd go for the solid state mp3 player.

mikegm6 08:43 18 Nov 03

Thanks to you all,I am certainly more aware of what to look for and is available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…