mike dicken (talk sport)

holligan 21:50 21 Sep 03

there is a shop that as a bad name when buying comps but he cant say it on air,he says he will sometime do you know where he`s on about as i dont want to buy a new one from there.

gcs_uk 22:13 21 Sep 03

As a regular listener to TS I suspect he is talking about PC World, personally i think PC World has a bit of a undeserved reputation. Yes some of their staff in the past have not been as technically savvy as they really should have been and they may have been a bit heavy on trying to sell extended warranties but in all my dealings with them I have never really had a problem. Yes mistakes have been made but when I have gone back to the shop they have been more than happy to rectify the situation.
When I bought a PC from them just over a year ago they bought up the subject of an extended warranty but I just politely declined and told them that I didnt want the usual spiel to try and sell me one and the sales rep never mentioned it again.

They must be doing something right cos go into any PC World store on a weekend and they are always busy.

Plus it is human nature for when something goes wrong to tell everyone but how many people go around saying I bought something from such and such shop and I never had a problem. Very rarely.

Falkyrn 22:15 21 Sep 03

Don't know when he's on but I doubt if he would broadcast such a claim unless he had 100% proof ..... even with that the company lawyers would stop such a broadcast for fear of a libel/defamation lawsuit.

Anyway, simply because company x sells one problem machine does not mean that all of its products are dodgy.

gcs_uk 23:08 21 Sep 03

no he would never mention the company for the reasons you quote but he goes quite far to describe it. Lots of out of town stores and lots of advertising on the telly with a catchy jingle is some of the things he has said.

Doesnt take a genius to put 2 and 2 together - not that i agree with him and no i dont work for or have ever worked for PC World.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:18 21 Sep 03

He is talking through his derriere if the store is as above. I have bought over 20 computers from PCW, for friends and I buy most of my hardware from there. They sell to hundreds of thousands a week so there is bound to be a few dissenters...triple meh and a large yawn for this.

G

spuds 23:57 21 Sep 03

Reallying on one man's word, for your possible future purchases, is going a bit!.If it is PCW that this man is hinting at, then he isn't doing a very good job. My local ### was doing a cracking till rattling session this morning.

picklesy 07:56 22 Sep 03

i bought a comp. from pc world 4 or 5 months ago and i have not had a problem.when i was buying it said on the info that it had firewire and usb 2,on checking the comp.it didn,t have either i pointed this out to the salesman and i was asked what i wanted to do.i stated that this was the comp, iwanted but with the specs. stated,he spoke to his maneger and with no hassle at all a 4 port firewire was fitted and usb 2,i was also thanked for pointing this out as it could have cost the company a pretty penny.it,s not all bad news.if you want bad news deal with a company called qtech.then you will know what problems are.

Xevious 09:20 22 Sep 03

i once went in to the above-mentioned store to buy a game (on special) and was amazed that in the space of about 10 minutes (while waiting in the queue to pay...) there were at least 5 customers walking in with their "brand new" PC's under their arms returning them for repairs...

i have half a mind to stand outside and hand them my business card - i'll provide them with working PC's... lol

having said that, i use them occasionally when i need something for a customer in an emergancy, and their goods are fine. i just find them being rip-off merchants (in my opinion)

i once priced a 60Gb HDD there and it was about £40 more than i would pay elsewhere...

but other selected parts are not too much higher...

the debate continues...

holligan 10:21 22 Sep 03

And state his case.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:33 22 Sep 03

'there were at least 5 customers walking in with their "brand new" PC's under their arms returning them for repairs'...PCW do NOT make computers, they sell other manufacturers bits of kit. Common sense would dictate that the 'repairing' is more of a reflection on the manufacturer/purchaser (purchasers have been known to fiddle with their stacks) than on the retailer ;-))

G

Xevious 20:30 22 Sep 03

hence the reason for the use of quotation marks.

i didn't state that they built them themselves did i? so the point stands, why sell substandard kit, if i dare call it that?

at the end of the day, i have no personal evidence, as i won't buy any systems from them anyway, and never have (i build my own), i'm just pointing out what i observed whilst in there...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…