Microsoft XP (SP1) Support Ends October 2006

Taff™ 13:30 11 Jul 06

Was this announced before? I know that Win 98 support ends today but this one came from MS Technet this afternoon by e-mail:

Effective October 10, 2006, assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) will end. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support or security updates. To enhance the security of your computer and to continue receiving updates, we recommend upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

I presume they`re shooting Windows 2000 and ME at dawn.

€dstowe 13:32 11 Jul 06

I can't imagine any valid excuse for not upgrading to SP2.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:51 11 Jul 06

The upgrade is free and has been around for ages. Call me blunt but anyone who has not updated by now is a bit stupid and probably should not be allowed near a computer..

G

Taff™ 13:59 11 Jul 06

I agree with you.;0)

Stuartli 14:50 11 Jul 06

Microsoft announces cessation of support for a particular product long in advance of it ending.

Smiler 17:03 11 Jul 06

OMG shoot me as I haven't updated the wifes laptop because if it ain't broke why should I mess with it?

ened 17:13 11 Jul 06

Although I have the disc I too have never installed SP2.
I don't have any problems so have never found the need.

However I obviously fall into the category of "stupid" (GANDALF <|:-)>)

iscanut2 17:28 11 Jul 06

I agree with Smiler & ened..no problems so why update. I am certainly not Stupid !

anskyber 17:59 11 Jul 06

Sorry, I'm in the Gandalf camp. Why any one is risking the lack of security without SP2 is quite beyond me. Saying that there have been no problems yet is rather like walking a coastal path with a blindfold on, sooner or later....

ened 18:12 11 Jul 06

What?

I haven't run with a firewall for about 3 years and I am not alone.

When he has a different hat on I seem to remember GANDALF <|:-)> sarcastically asking someone why they thought anybody might be interested in their PC.

anskyber 18:22 11 Jul 06

..... you will fall off. I offer in aid click here and click here but by all means have a different view, it is a free world after all. The problem for me is that insecure PCs that communicate with others are compromising the security of others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…