Microsoft Restrictive Practices

bitstream 14:53 24 May 04

I want to buy a new computer. I want Windows XP complete with the full operating software (on disk) which I'm happy to pay for. If I want a Dell or Evesham, they won't provide the real thing- only a "recovery" CD, and they won't supply a computer without software; is this naked and unashamed restictive practice or what!

Arthur Scrimshaw 15:00 24 May 04

I don't know if this is the pc builder or Microsoft. You can certainly buy a pc with the full software - so vote with your feet and buy from one of these guys.

My last two desktop system were from Novatech click here and were excellent.

ste_bla 16:31 24 May 04

Well the recovery disks normally include all needed drivers etc so it is easier and quicker to wipe again..

bitstream 17:14 24 May 04

Yes Ste_Bla but I gather that it wipes allyour data in the process...

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:42 24 May 04

A recovery CD is good enough, I've used them many times before.

G

philwane 17:52 24 May 04

I would never buy a PC that came only with a recovery CD

computernerdiamnot 18:05 24 May 04

When i bought a Lexon desktop i was given a restore disk plus the windows 98 disc and all the components software down to the motherboard disk. I agree with GANDALF but my concern is that after warranty has finished and hard drive goes up the duff what are you meant to do.

computernerdiamnot 18:08 24 May 04

You are not wrong there any other programs you have on your computer that you install, Files ect are wiped of so you make sure you back up and if you download software of the internet that you purchased make sure you keep the registration keys safe. :)

Steven135 18:08 24 May 04

Evesham supply a full copy of XP from which you can if you wish do a clean install.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:24 24 May 04

'I would never buy a PC that came only with a recovery CD'....why?

G

961 19:26 24 May 04

Well, I wouldn't either

Why?

Because I find it convenient to have the software I have paid for on disc so that I can do an "install over the top" or do a clean install

But also because I have paid for the software and the idea that it should come on a hidden partition with all the faff that entails is totally unacceptable, to me at any rate

We have, of course, been up and down this argument ever since Microsoft started on this carry on, which simply penalises legitimate buyers because others pirate their software. I understand their frustration, I just don't agree with their solution

In the meanwhile, I would say to Bitstream that, if you phone Dell, they may tell you that, in many cases, their recovery disk does in fact include a full copy of Windows. If they won't tell you that, buy from one of the smaller manufactureres, such as Poweroid, who do provide the disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…