Microsoft Product Activation Restrictions

archimedes 17:36 14 Jan 03
  archimedes 17:36 14 Jan 03

I have a stand alone copy of Windows XP Home Edition which I want to sell. It was bought from a computer store and is no longer installed on any computer as I have a new one with XP OEM preinstalled and plan to sell my old computer with a copy of Windows Professional on it.
The OS was activated on the old computer so if I now sell it, how does the buyer activate it on their own computer - presumably MS product activation would throw up a query? I need to deactivate the product but MS state that there is no provision for this! I would be reluctant to buy a secondhand OS if there was doubt about being able to activate it. What do I do - I'm sick of calling MS Customer Service and getting vague replies.

Mac & Beth 17:46 14 Jan 03

I don't think you can transfer ownship of the OS.

Yes XP would notice the different set up when you try to activate it on a new PC and the new owner might be stuck when it comes to ringing MS.

Why install Win Profession?

Why not just leave Home on it?

Mac & Beth 17:53 14 Jan 03

* Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated product and may only be used with the HARDWARE. If the SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE.

Mac & Beth 17:54 14 Jan 03

THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.

You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA.

So you can only sell the XP Home WITH the hardware it was originally activated on.

Mac & Beth -

You are quoting from the OEM version and not the "Full stand alone" version that archimedes has.

Yes you can sell it, yes it will raise an activation issue (Unless it is more than 120 days since you last activated it) and yes, a call to MS by the purchaser should sort it!

Mac & Beth 18:06 14 Jan 03

Thanks for your prompt response but perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I have 2 new computers - a laptop and a desktop - both of which have an OEM copy of Windows XP installed. I plan to sell my old computer with a copy of Windows 2000 Professional on it (which I have spare). The copy of XP Home is a full version bought from a retailer and no therefore longer required.

M&B stand corrected. Smiffy99 has the correct answer.

Thin White Duke 18:45 14 Jan 03

Or go Linux!

Definately preffered by me to Windows.

archimedes 18:49 14 Jan 03

Thanks Smiffy99 for the definitve reply. My only worry is the last bit of your response: "a call to MS should sort it". I have to persuade a potential buyer that everything will be OK. There should be a means of deactivating a full retail version of an OS.

mikeyb59 21:21 14 Jan 03

About eight months ago I bought a copy of XP Pro from someone who had tried it and didn't like it (strange).

It had already been activated but a quick call to Microsoft with the first users name got me an activation code with no hassle.

They do offer a one-time user transfer although I don't know if this applies to XP HE.

Should stress this does NOT apply to OEM products.

rickf 21:54 14 Jan 03

Give the buyer a guarantee that you'll give a refund if probs arise re activation in writing. How much do you want for it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…