Microsoft Product Activation

shaq01 12:19 07 Jun 05

Can anyone tell me what this actually does? I have just bought Office 2003 which on installation tells me that unless I activate I can only use the product for 40 days or so.

I have nothing to hide but hate the thought of giving out my personal details to anyone. I even hate giving my postcode out if I buy something in a shop.....

ventanas 12:43 07 Jun 05

You have no choice. If you do not activate it will stop working. I don't see why you have a problem with this, you only have to give your country of residence, everything else is optional.

shaq01 14:06 07 Jun 05

Thanks for letting me know. I have activated but just hate getting junk mail etc, os have always had a problem with giving out any personal details. As long as activation is anonymous then I am happy to do it.

The reason for it is to help stop piracy. If it works the same way as Windows XP, Microsoft have a database off all the activated key codes so if you try to install it on another computer, they can see that it is allready on someone elses and prevents them from using it (after the 40 days).

No other details are needed apart from the product key.

Diodorus Siculus 23:05 07 Jun 05

I think that Office can be used on two machines - a desktop and a laptop, as far as I can recall.

shaq01 07:55 08 Jun 05

Thanks everyone.

I have only installed it on one machine and haven't volunteered any personal information. At least I can rest easy knowing that it is one less company that will send me junk mail etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…