Microsoft Office 2003

Roy* 14:34 31 Jan 05

I'm currently running a trial version which will 'time out' at the end of Feb. I've seen the 'Teacher & Student' version available for around £90 and probably even less on ebay.

1) Is this a full version or does it have any limitations (Only interested in Outlook, Word, Excel & Powerpoint)?

2)Any tips on the most cost effective way to have the software fully operational?

ventanas 14:58 31 Jan 05

Yes it does have limitations. You must be a student or teacher to use it. If you are neither of these you do not qualify to use it and would be in breach of the licence.

Roy* 15:24 31 Jan 05

It's a home/family PC where my wife is a teacher and my children students. do I need proof of this at point of purchase?

Apart from that anything else I should consider or be aware of?

taffhughes 15:40 31 Jan 05

I read some were that Microsoft has stopped asking for proof of "student/teacher" status as they estimate that that at least 80% of UK house holds have at least one member of the family that would qualify. Bering in mind that a lot of adults attend evening classes and they are classed as a student.
As for the limitations of the "student / teachers" package, I would not recommend the full version as if is just not worth it. The Student version will do just about every thing you could ask for.

TomJerry 15:59 31 Jan 05

they will tell you the proof

maybe you can ask if your wife's school got any special deal if it is "only" used for school work

ventanas 16:26 31 Jan 05

No problems at all, you should not be asked for proof as Microsoft no longer require it as taffhughes has said.

Roy* 16:31 31 Jan 05

I know PCWorld are advertising at around £90 but anyhhing better around?

Also will it install over the existing trial version without messing up everybodies email account on outlook etc?

Modo 16:32 31 Jan 05

It doesn't need activation. You qualify as student, teacher or parent.

Says 3 pc's but I found that when I put onto 4th machine - after one died - it still didn't object.

It lacks the contact manager in Outlook. It also doesn't include Publisher which causes problems in our house.

In the future for marketing reasons they ought to include the excellent OneNote.

Down side is I've got XP in my Home Office and everyone else has got 2003!

zipdrive 17:41 31 Jan 05

I recently got Office 2003 student licence as both my kids are at school and I am do the ECDL at work.

It did not ask for any details of schools etc when I installed it, but I did need to activate online to start using it.

There was also an time limited offer for Access 2003, which was very cheap compared to the full licence. For that I did need to give details of my kids schools. CD-ROM arrived about 10 days later.

silverbugle 19:12 31 Jan 05

If you need Access, do a Student Pro version, and are probably among the cheapest for the straight version as well.

As for messing up email accounts, for what its worth I just updgraded from Office 97 to Office XP. I left 97 installed and installed XP over it. It picked up all my internet accounts, and moved all my contacts and message from Outlook. The only thing it didn't do was copy accross my e-mail passwords, so reminde yourself what they are before you make the upgrade.

Modo 20:09 31 Jan 05

I'm clearly wrong on that.

The version in my house didn't need activation.

But having read the other posts it was clearly happy to activate itself over the legitimate versions of Windows 2000 Pro it effectively upgraded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…