Microsoft new spychecker

steve263000 03:02 12 Jan 05

Bill Gates has bought out a beta version of a spyware checker click here I downloaded it yesterday, and ran a check. This found spyware that adaware and spybot had missed. I think you need XP and I know that you have to have a full correct copy for it to work. But if anyone is interested, then so far it works for me.

spider9 06:33 12 Jan 05

hello steve,
I also downloaded and ran the new spychecker from Mr Gates. It found one 'minor' file for removal.
Then I ran my Adaware and it came up with 3 'Critical' and 17 negligible!!
So I'm not sure what to make of it.

steve263000 11:12 12 Jan 05

It just another tool in the box, and worth a go. Free anyway.

spider9 11:40 12 Jan 05

Agreed!

€dstowe 14:16 12 Jan 05

Free but for how long?

I've heard that it will be charged for when the full version is released.

Sethhaniel 15:08 12 Jan 05

last bit of free spyware - found one all the rest had missed - AND guess what was in its cookie -
PCADVISOR -
Have exported from registry before deleting in case it's something innocent ;)

Sethhaniel 08:26 13 Jan 05

did complete scan and found nothing - so that's great a clean system (or it doesn't work ;) )

only alarming thing -when it first ran it came up with the message that it would take about 29 minutes to run based on 'like programs' that have run on computer before - now how does microsoft know that - (it actually finished scan in 12 minutes)

LANDCRUISER 14:06 13 Jan 05

i to have it running it found one spyware that adaware & spybot failed to find,someone on pcadvisor said it was a copy,a firm that microsoft had bought out,it seams to run quiet fast compared to these others

JoeC 15:17 13 Jan 05

it seems to check if you have a legit version of Windows . . . .

click here

rawprawn 15:37 13 Jan 05

It finds and deletes "Searchsquire" which is a false positive from Spybot. It is best to set it to ignore Searchsquire. Or each time you immunise with Spybot it will come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…