Microsoft messenger back..

rdave13 20:06 18 Sep 14
Answered

... well sort of. Logged in to my email via Outlook.com on IE and was surprised to see it there. I usually use WLM so hadn't noticed before. Just a pointer, really, in case someone will find it useful. Only difference is you need to keep a tab open on your browser.

rdave13 21:21 18 Sep 14

Jock1e I don't use Facebook but think this is tied to Skype. Managed to get a few people connected via Skype originally through the original messenger. Now have no idea how to add contacts as I'm not a member of any social media. Seems impossible to give an invite to someone on Skype for simple messaging without a social media account.

Woolwell 22:16 18 Sep 14

Jock1e - You are confusing 2 messengers. There was the MS Live Messenger and there is the Facebook Messenger which is completely different. MS Messenger was supposed to have gone when MS bought Skype and Skype replaced it.

Skype contacts should pick up Outlook.com contacts.

Woolwell 22:21 18 Sep 14

Just had a play with the Outlook messaging and in the main it leads you to Skype. It will also link to Google contacts and Facebook Friends.

I'm wrong about it picking up Outlook.com contacts.

Woolwell 22:25 18 Sep 14

If you go to People on Oultook.com it gives a list of people who are on Skype taken from your contacts list. You can invite them to join your Skype contacts from there.

rdave13 00:19 19 Sep 14
Answer

Woolwell , precisely. You cannot invite any friends to join from your email contacts list, only from a social media list, and that is why I don't use Skype. If your friends have a Skype account then you should be able to connect. I think you would then have to use your email?

That's where the old messenger worked better. It didn't configure these social media inputs or your own personal data.

My heading is another hopeful yearning to one of Microsoft's better products that has eaten the dust.

Woolwell 10:18 19 Sep 14

radve13 - "You cannot invite any friends to join from your email contacts list" - Perhaps not through WLM but you can using outlook.com online. You have to have your contacts in Outlook.com and you can export from WLM. Then on the "People" part of Outlook it will notify you of those that it has found on Skype and give you the option to invite them. This doesn't use Facebook, etc and is not a social media list.

Personally I've just about given up on Skype as my family all have iPads and Facetime and iMessages are far better.

rdave13 13:46 19 Sep 14

I agree with you. Facetime and iMessages rule here too. I'm the only one without an iPad though!

Woolwell 12:53 20 Sep 14

Messenger of the iPad is the Facebook chat. There isn't another messenger of the iPad. There is Messages from which you can send and receive iMessages.

Facebook are not going to go back to the old way. Suggest that it is time to move on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac