Microsoft giveaway

recap 10:28 15 Aug 03

Don't know whether this is been posted before?

Microsoft have a grants scheme that gives away software in kind to hundreds of charity and community groups in the UK, here is a list of some of the software they are giving away:

Office XP Professional
Office XP Developer
Frontpage 2002
Windowx XP Home & Pro#
Microsoft Visio 2002
Office Mac 2001
and a whole lot more.

click here to find out more.

TechMad 11:23 15 Aug 03

Microsoft should also extend this to Students.

TechMad 11:27 15 Aug 03

Back in the days when Office 97 was released, you could get the professional (Teacher/Student) edition for the same price as you would get Office XP standard (Teacher/Student) edition. Office isn't the value for money it used to be, even though, in my opinion Office97 is much better.

Lozzy 12:06 15 Aug 03

How can you say that. Each later release is by far better than the previous..

Brian-336451 19:21 16 Aug 03

Its really back to 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

Office is certainly bigger but I'm not sure that the use I put it to couldn't actually be answered by Office 4.2.

Its a LOT bigger and more complicated and most of us only scratch the surface. Personally I think that I would probably be better off with Works, but I'm a snob and 'must have' Office (2000).

pj123 20:00 17 Aug 03

Microsoft give nothing away. It is a case of I am the richest person in the world (and although I would never be able to spend it in my lifetime) I want more.

wee eddie 21:52 17 Aug 03

Word, Excel, Access, Outlook. Without all the fancy stuff

Q-Bie 22:08 17 Aug 03

There is a scheme run by certain universities where you can get MS software for free (for use while you study)

I can login to a website at wolverhampton uni and download...

XP Pro
Win2k Pro
Win2k Server
Visual Studio .net
Windows ME
Windows 98 SE
Vision Pro

and a fair bit more.
They even generate a unique product key for you when you download :)

Forum Editor 23:05 17 Aug 03

I can't for the life of me imagine why they should.

Students are students by choice, and I don't see why people seem to expect that simply because they are studying something they should be entitled to get freebies. When I was a student (millions of years ago), I didn't get anything for nothing. I still managed to stumble through university (working part-time to generate a bit of cash) and get a reasonable degree at the end of it all.

Thats my little rant over with, and I don't expect to be deafened with cries of 'hear, hear' but there's a serious point in it. If I was the Microsoft director responsible for such things I might take the view that students would benefit from a temporary free licence - along the lines mentioned by Q-Bie. That makes sense, and will help students during their study course.

At the end of it though, they are part of the working population, just like the rest of us (or they should be), and there's no reason they should continue to benefit from the priviledge. Let them pay for their software like the rest of us.

Errr.....

I agree with much of what you say. As a mature student myself, (37 and Law Final) I can appreciate the fact that yes, it was my choice to return to Uni and yes, I do benifit from the software for "other purposes" apart from study.

However, when you consider the stranglehold Microsoft has on the software market, and by this I mean how many universities run the excellent Star Office on thier servers, students have little option but to use the microsoft offerings, especially, as has been the case in my experience, many of the students are not computer literate to the point of being able to perform file conversions to rich text or plain text so as to import to or from say word on the university computers.

No, students are not owed a living (or a bagful of freebies) but then the financial implications fo study have changed significantly as well. No more Grants (unless you live north of Hadrians Wall) and sometimes quite steep contributions to the tuition fees as well. The student "loan" is only about £100 per week (term time only) and has to go a fair way and part time work does not generate too much inthe way of spare cash without impinging on the studies.

To take a fresher into university with a new PC (say £600 - Mid range), Operating system (£130,00) and software (say office suite - £250 plus say one or two "Course dependant programs" £200) means an outlay of £1200 - more than the entire student loan for the first term!!

No Okay, perhaps it is still possible to use the facilities on campus (you should see the ratio of PC's to students wanting to use them to appreciate the problems of this) without purchasing but in reality its not always feasible.

Finally, it is the students who will be using the software in the future and perhaps, as graduates, decideing on which software their department or company is going to implement. A company would be daft to ignore such a large number of potential future decision makers and to miss the opportunity of getting them used to their products over their competitors (are there competitors to MS??) at an early stage would be even worse.

Giving software away to students is not so much of a charity cause, but more a marketing ploy to ensure that the students will favour that product in future having become "used" to it and the revenue from those sales will be enourmous.

Why do all the banks offer £1600 interest free overdrafts to students for three years if it were not to ensnare them??? (I have never heard of a bank being charitable)

No, finish study and pay for your own software fair enough. While at university you are really no more than a "target" of the marketing department looking to secure future business. In that case, freebies should be expected!!!!

recap 14:02 19 Aug 03

Microsoft must be the quickest organisation to respond to a funding application and deliver I have known of.

Posted funding letter 8th August, received reply 14th August stating that they had accepted my application. Received the software on 18th August.

A pat on the back for Microsoft for once I think, as normally funding can take up to and over 6 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…