Microsoft Embrace Peer 2 Peer

special sophie 20:22 06 Mar 03

The future of file sharing
The recording industry spends a lot of time and money trying to shut down peer-to-peer networks. It has succeeded in a few cases, only to have more pop up in their places.

I see peer-to-peer networks as a growth industry, but not in the way you might think. While interested parties look for ways to shut down these networks, Microsoft has released the beta of a peer-to-peer development kit for Windows XP. No, Microsoft isn't attempting to grab market share from Kazaa. Built-in file sharing has the potential to revolutionize corporate networks and make an impact on personal computing as well.

Of course, Windows already features built-in networking and the ability to share folders, but you generally need a network administrator to set it up. With a corporate file-sharing network, you could point to someone on your corporate buddy list and see what files they have for you. Or instead of e-mailing documents to co-workers, you could just grab them from a file-sharing window. The only thing lacking from current technology is security.

Do you think peer-to-peer file sharing has a future? Let me know at [email protected].

Wayne Cunningham
Senior Editor, CNET

This is an email I recieved today I'm not actually wayne Cunningham.

powerless 20:25 06 Mar 03

I recieved that the other day ;-)

P2P has a future...In my opinion.

special sophie 20:28 06 Mar 03

Looks that way Powerless

graham 20:36 06 Mar 03

Say after me 'i before e except after c'. Ready? 'i before e except after c'. Again 'i after c...

powerless 20:39 06 Mar 03

i before e except after c

Cordy13 20:41 06 Mar 03

Weird !!!

special sophie 20:45 06 Mar 03

thank you grammar man

ahales42 21:08 06 Mar 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…