Microsoft Beta version of AntiSpyware ?

freaky 18:18 08 Jan 05

The above program is available free as a download from Microsoft.

Has anybody tried it, and if so any problems?

VoG II 18:22 08 Jan 05

There have been a few threads on this already, e.g. click here

Generally no problems here. I think that most people have found that it detects things that Ad-aware etc. don't. Whether these are *real* threats or not, I don't know.

Stuartli 16:41 09 Jan 05

Seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted - SP2 was on a similar mission security wise...:-)

Cook2 17:04 10 Jan 05

I read what VoG™ had to say, in the other thread, and downloaded and ran it. It found one which S&D and Adaware SE hadn't found, and SpywareBlaster had evidently let through.

I checked again last night and it found another, even having the latest updates of the aforementioned progs.

*Real* threats? I'm beginning to wonder myself.

Belatucadrus 17:09 10 Jan 05

The beta of MS anti Spyware is currently picking up a kill bit from the Spybot immunisation process and reporting it as a threat, best to ignore that particular "Threat".

JayDay 17:22 10 Jan 05

I run Spywareblaster, SpyBot and Adaware. Is there any need to run anymore? I note there are some users who run a full virus scan twice a day with different programs. Isn't it all a bit over cautious?

JayDay 17:23 10 Jan 05

Don't get too comfortable with it. MS are sure to start charging for it in the not too distant future.

slim 65 19:27 10 Jan 05

Will it run ok with spybot and adaware? or must one of them be installed?

slim 65 19:29 10 Jan 05

sorry , that should read 'uninstalled'.

Praxis99 19:45 10 Jan 05

I have to say that I have downloaded but not installed it since I (a little like Jayday above)had reason to pause for thought in that I too use Adaware, SpyBot and SpywareBlaster and therefore considered did my personal paranoia level require another anti spyware programme, too wit the answer is currently no, particularly since been on Broadband I am not susceptible to dialers which used to be my main concern.

That said I'll be interested to see what people think of it in use and if it perhaps provides an alternative to any of the current free anti spyware players.

Cook2 19:59 10 Jan 05

I've just had a thought. After it found the first 'nasty' I had it set to Real Time Protection but when I gave it the second run, one more had got through.

Secondly, mine says This version expires on 31st July 2005. I assume that means they will start charging.

I think I will give it until the end of the week and maybe uninstall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…