MFD to replace photocopier

Gongoozler 10:55 11 Jan 08

I'm looking for a compact A4 MFD (Printer-scanner-copier) to replace my ageing huge photocopier. I want to use it primarily for the occasional copying of documents that I don't have stored on my computer. Most reviews concentrate on the quality of scanning to file or printing from the computer. My experience of printing from a scanner to printer via the computer is very disappointing with insipid blurred results. I'm not too worried about speed, or even colour, but would like wireless networking so that any computer in the house can use it to print. I have looked at the Brother DCP-770CW, but the conclusions are mixed, with no mention of copier quality. Can any forum members make any recommendations, either inkjet or laser. I am looking to spend about £150 but will spend more if the results are worthwhile.

Kemistri 13:24 11 Jan 08

For £150, can I assume that you are budgeting for the MFD only? That could be stretch for a good MFD and a half-decent print server, if that's what you want to use. Spend £80-180 on an MFD and another £40-50 on a budget server.

click here - You pay your money and take your choice, but spend as much as you can afford, as a general rule. I do not know of anyone who is not happy with their Canon MFD, but in the interests of fairness, other brands are available!

I'll assume that the MFD will reside within cable distance of the router - click here - try not to go much cheaper than that.

Kemistri 13:26 11 Jan 08

Of course, if you really can't stretch to a server, you can leave one PC to function as a printer host, but that is less than ideal.

Gongoozler 15:03 11 Jan 08

Hi Kemistri. Thanks for the reply. My main PC is ethernet connected to a Netgear 802.11g wireless router. The other PC in my home and a laptop also have 802.11g wireless capability, so I'm assuming that a printer with 802.11g wireless networking capability will be accessible by any of the computers, hopefully regardless of whether the main computer is on. Am I right in this assumption?
The Brother DCP-770CW has 802.11g wireless capability built in, which is very attractive to me as it avoids yet another box for the print server. This review of the DCP-770W click here is fairly complimentary, although there is some criticism of the text printing especially when the text is printed over colour. I suspect that a lot of the cost is for the photo printing capabilities, which I don't need, rather than text, which I do need. I think that this printer is, however the nearest I can find to what I want.

Diemmess 15:12 11 Jan 08

....whether it is power tool accessories, or printer scanner copiers.
The latter now seem to be a great improvement on the original versions.

My printer Epson Perfection V100 has facilities for direct printing though I have never tried that way.

However there is a lot that can be done to configure the scan to suit the need.

Though I have heavyweight software to improve the image (increase brighness/contrast), the scanner can select a true white background to text.

Can you not do something similar with your scanner software?

In case you want more ideas for a MFD..
click here

Gongoozler 15:47 11 Jan 08

Hi Deimmess. True, there's a lot that can be done to improve the image quality through the PC. My problem is that the wife who is a lot less tech-savvy than I am is used to plonking a document into the photocopier, pressing the button and out comes a crisp copy almost indistinguishable from the original. Copying from the scanner (Epson Perfection 3490) to the printer (Epson R220 or Epson C3000) is much more fiddly, requires the PC to be switched on and needs careful adjustment of contrast and slicing level to get good results from text. I'm hoping that an all-in-one can handle this for me, but perhaps Im expecting too much.

Diemmess 15:58 11 Jan 08

Your wife (may she forgive the description) is a variable I hadn't thought of!

No I don't think you ask too much. There are photo printers which take the data straight from the camera card and deliver a print, so somewhere there ought to be a simple document in - print out MFD.

Not having used any of them, I bow out of this.

Kemistri 19:01 11 Jan 08

At least one of us has used MFDs, and I stand by my earlier recommendation.

john bunyan 21:08 11 Jan 08

I find Cannon very good, both for photocopying , scanning and photo printing.Has a seperate print head, unlike Epson,which I had before and the ink froze and the cleaning programme would not repair it. Have not tried wireless connection.

Gongoozler 07:28 12 Jan 08

Thanks Kemistri, Diemmess and john bunyan. I'll look into Canon printers, and possibly a separate print server.

Gongoozler 10:27 12 Jan 08

The MP610 looks exactly like what I want except that it isn't wireless. The MP600R on the other hand even has 802.11g wireless capability, but lower scanner resolution. I wonder if there's a MP610R on the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced