Message with attachment from BT - Virus??

anchor 08:53 12 Aug 05

Just received this message:

Hello from BT Internet!

Recently we have undergone changes in the way we operate. From now on you can get a 4 megabyte connection speed as standard and we are happy for all our existing customers to benefit from our new high-speed Internet access.

For ease of use we have attached the new settings needed to enable this option. Please run the attached tool and follow the on-screen options. The process is fully automated so you need not worry about manual configuration.

If you find any problems then please contact us on 0845 600 600.

Virtually yours,

Sandra Hays

British Telecom Communications

I have broadband from Pipex, and only have a dial-up account for e-mails from BT. On the BT website there is no mention of a 4mb service. I feel positive the attachment is a virus.

Stuartli 09:37 12 Aug 05

The fact that you can't enable such a service yourself plus the Virtually yours tag should probably tell you all you wish to know...:-)

Stuartli 09:37 12 Aug 05

The fact that you can't enable such a service yourself plus the Virtually yours tag should probably tell you all you wish to know...:-)

anchor 09:46 12 Aug 05
  €dstowe 10:59 12 Aug 05

May have been a phishing email rather than a virus.

Did you try the telephone number?

€dstowe 11:05 12 Aug 05

From the BT Broadband website:

"At no additional cost to customers, BT is increasing the standard speed of all of its BT Broadband and BT Yahoo! Broadband packages. This applies to both new and existing customers.

The aim is to give all of our BT Broadband and BT Yahoo! Broadband customers 2Mb broadband as standard (or the best speed available that their line will support), allowing them to have an even faster connection speed.

For BT Broadband Basic customers, we will increase the speed of their broadband to 1Mb as standard (or the best speed available that their line will support)."

No mention anywhere of a 4Mb service.

click here

Also, it should read Megabit not Megabyte service - fundamental misunderstanding of the system there.

maccy 15:15 12 Aug 05

I fell for it!
They say that there is one born every minute!

BBW 19:42 12 Aug 05

I keep getting 'BT Broadband Basic Help' upgrades, when I click on the 'Help' This 'Upgrade' with all the BT flags is now so fast on my bradband I cannot cancel it. I keep sending protests to BT about download upgrades without my permission, but I keep getting the run around. One suggested I call a number which informed me it was a 'Premium' number and was charging me! The last time it happened I had a 'Trojan'

supersneak 19:43 13 Aug 05

Instructions for removal on BT Yahoo website under help/security.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…