Mesh Test...

Sir Radfordin™ 16:48 09 Jun 03

Well it couldn't continue forver could it, the wonderful Mesh PC I've owned has started to make a noise (above and beyond whats normal). A quick inspection showed that the case fan was the cause of this. Blasted some compressed air around and the problem remains.

So off I go to Mesh Computers website (click here) and register. Doesn't like the serial number on the sticker so I grab my "mesh documents" box and find the one off there. Register and away we go.

Log my problem with them asking for a new case fan to be sent out. So now we wait and see what happens. Would it be too much to expect a fan in the post on Thursday morning (or before?)

Mesh if your reading, don't worry about me fitting the part I'm a fully trained IT Support Monkey by trade.

MESH Response 17:55 09 Jun 03

Please could you supply your order number to the meshresponse address so we can assist in a speedy resolution?

Thanks

MESH Response.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:07 09 Jun 03

As requested - email sent with Order Number.

A speedy response would be great, and put my mind at rest about the two machines recently ordered at my recomendation which should be delivered on Thursday :)

Sir Radfordin™ 18:19 09 Jun 03

Just had this response:

Thanks - I try to get it sent out tomorrow.

Any problems/delays - will let you know but I cant envisage any.

MESH Response.

Now I know I've always sung the praise of these guys but this has to be the best start ever. I wouldn't have expected this much from Dell.

mulligan 18:58 09 Jun 03

Just out of interest my MESH case fan was blowing air into the case and turning it round dropped the CPU temperature 10 degrees. I also had a noisy fan (motherboard) and MESH replaced it without any problems.

microswift 20:33 09 Jun 03

I too have a noisy (PSU) fan, it sounds like one of those toy radio controlled planes in flight, I emailed Mesh Response about 3 months ago with my details asking if they would send me a replacement, I'm still waiting for a reply. I contacted tech. support described the fault to them and also the fact that Asus Probe shows the fan as not reaching threshhold speed, I was told that Asus Probe was unreliable and it was probably just some dust in the fan, I'd already done the obvious and made a visual inspection of the fan, I could't see any obstruction, any way I was told it wouldn't do any harm, it wasn't really anything to worry about. The thing is the fan is faulty and could cause further damage, so Mesh Response if I email my details could you send me a replacement tomorrow too?

Sir Radfordin™ 21:23 09 Jun 03

Microswift - the PSU fan wouldn't be monitered by the Asus Proble - that will look at the one thats on the mobo, normally the processor and it may also read the case fan.

If it is a fault in the PSU then you are more likely to find your PC won't turn on than any other damage occur. You would be surprised at how much dust does build up in them.

No harm in a replacement though ;-)

Dae 21:42 09 Jun 03

I saw a noisy PSU fan cured within ten seconds, by having a drop of oil placed on the fan spindle.

This was done through the grill on the computer case, with no dismantling needed (a round plastic sticker had to be pulled off first).

I have heard a squirt of WD40 works as well.

microswift 22:06 09 Jun 03

The PSU fan is clearly indicated in Asus Probe, plus I've applied compressed air to the fan, Icant see any dust or obstruction, I know the procedure for applying a drop of oil, but it's something you do at your own risk, my own instinct has been to buy a new fan and do a bit of diy.

Sir Radfordin™ 23:53 09 Jun 03

Oil is never a good idea for the simple reason it will leave a film that dust will stick to.

microswift: you sure about the PSU fan? Just downloaded Asus Probe 2 and it only shows the CPU fan (and that doesn't seem to do much) the other options are greyed out. Willing to accept you have a more up-to-date PC though! Its rare for the fan on the PSU to be monitored in a normal spec PC.

Dae 01:58 10 Jun 03

Yes, I accept your point that dust can stick to oil; in some cases oil can also cause some plastic bearings to swell which is another danger. But there are also lots of mechanisms around that benefit from the use of oil, and I was simply passing on information that had worked for me.

I did not say so before, but the noisy PSU that I saw being made quiet again was on the computer I am using now. The fan is on a metal spindle running in a plastic bearing. It was first oiled two years ago, and has been in almost daily use since then, and has required one further oiling. As I type, it is running quietly and sweetly. So oil can work, and as I say, I was just passing on information that had worked for me. There has been no problem with dust build-up, though I accept your point that it is something to look out for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…