Mesh Support

MissMesher 18:40 08 May 06

Having received a Mesh computer on 3rd April which didn't work and still does not, and having spent some considerable time on the phone to MESH, I believe I am entitled to ask the question.

Why do computer Magazines review the products of a company that they must be aware are seriously failing some of its customers.

Is this OK to review a product ( and recommend it), just because the PC offers good value for money from a technical point of view ... and the customers whose PC's dont work can be ignored.

At what point do you stop recommending a company's products purely because you are aware its a gamble because of the support issues.

Is this just a probability question? or do Computer Magazines have other responsibilities?

Perhaps I am biased as I have been let down , but whats your view?

Totally-braindead 18:44 08 May 06

I'll let the FE answer this one I think.

Diodorus Siculus 18:44 08 May 06

I remember something along the same lines maybe 4 years ago.

The formal response suggested that it was better to try to work with Mesh and their customers from within rather than refusing to review their machines.

I've never had a Mesh so I can't fairly comment.

I wish you all the best in getting your problem sorted.

Stuartli 18:51 08 May 06

Did you have to install the software yourself?

Many support centre issues raised by new system buyers are software rather than hardware related.

Forum Editor 19:54 08 May 06

but it would be churlish of me to ignore your comments, so here goes. Bear in mind that my response is a personal one - I have no knowledge of the inner workings of Mesh Computers, and I am not responsible for the testing and/or reviewing of their machines. To help me frame my response I'm going to imagine that I'm the publisher of a computer magazine - any magazine.

The quandary I would be in is this - do I simply review the machines that are submitted, reporting on them purely from the point of view of their hardware configuration, the build quality, performance in benchmarking software, bundled software, perceived value for money, warranty terms, etc., or do I go down your road, and make subjective judgments about the manufacturer's customer service operation?

If I decide to do as you suggest, what criteria do you think I should use - the number of complaints we see in our web forum? Number of letters/emails sent in to the magazine? Number of complaints we've spotted on other web forums? Hearing something down the pub?

What exactly?

Suppose we see 100 complaints about Inter-galactic PCs Ltd. and 500 about Mesh. Which is obviously the worst company as far as customer service goes? It's obvious, isn't it - Mesh must be the one. Hang on though, InterGalactic sells 1000 computers a month, and Mesh sells 10,000. When you realise that you can see that in fact it's InterGalactic that has the worst record - they have a 10% complaint rate, as opposed to Mesh's 5%.

In truth we have no access to any manufacturer's sales figures, so we don't know what the proportion of complaints to sales is, and that's why it's so difficult to make any kind of comment at all in the magazine reviews and be able to justify it.

Let's make no bones about it - we do see complaints about Mesh customer service in the forum. I doubt that Mesh themselves would disagree with that, and I'm sure that they are concerned about it - they've taken the trouble to nominate an individual to address Mesh complaints here, in our forum, and to his credit, Davey hasn't flinched from his task since he joined us, some time ago now. Several other manufacturers showed an initial interest in joining us, and some of them did so, but none have shown anything like as much dedication to helping people with a problem.

I've said it many times before - I have no connection whatsoever with Mesh. I've never visited them, and have never met anyone from the company, or even spoken to anyone on the phone. I come under no pressure whatsoever from anyone at PCA to show any consideration towards Mesh (or any other company) because of any advertising that may be done in our pages. If that ever happened I would resist it totally - I see it as fundamentally important that I remain utterly impartial when it comes to commenting on our readers'/forum members' problems, and I intend to stay that way.

Mesh run their company in the way they see fit. You buy (or don't buy) computers from them, based on information you receive, and on your own judgment. I don't see it as being one of our functions to influence you in favour of one supplier or another - that's not our job. Our job is to tell you how good the computers are, and to help you if things go wrong. I hope that we do both those things pretty well.

MissMesher 19:54 08 May 06

Hi Stuartli

The machine was "as supplied" when switched on first and no software has ever been loaded by me. The fault a Yellow / blue screen stopped any chance of loading any software.

Infact the software that was supposed to come with the machine didnt arrive ( a recovery disc ). we had to ring up for this, This arrived much later

Also Mesh do not supply Manuals and when requested they give you links to the appropriate web site (but like the machine one of these links did not work)

Overall a bad experience which Mesh seem unwilling to sort out to date.

MissMesher 20:26 08 May 06

I can understand your dilemma.

On one hand you want to give informed critical advice to users of computers of what "value" (in the broader terms of the word ) each product has and make comparisons resulting in eye catching "Best buy" and "Recommended Products". I would quite agree a valuable service indeed for all potential buyers.

You sell your Magazines , again perfectly Ok by me, after all the Magazines claim they will enable you to make an informed choice and generally they do.

But on the other hand at what point does your responsibility for advising people end . You suggest you do not know the statistics for complaint rates faults etc. Have you ever tried to find out these statistics,... other areas e.g. automotive reviewers do comment on reliability after sales etc, and accepted computer are less expensive than cars but are equally important in these times.

It must be clear to all involved in this interesting and commercial (£££) industry that independent recommendations from authoritative reviewers such as PC Advisor are ... Manna from heaven to a computer firm with a recommended product.

"Responsibility" extends much further these days in all walks of life and its increasingly unacceptable to say sorry I dont know about the bad bits but here’s the good stuff. Basically it lets down your readers ... and yes I feel let down by Mesh and by PC Advisor for not alerting me to the known issues.

I too hate to see people and organisations harangued with unfounded accusations from gossip mongers in the tabloids, but perhaps the greater crime is perpetrated by the professional who miss sells a mortgage

Ie a trusted individual carries greater responsibility ... Does this cap fit??

MissMesher 20:45 08 May 06

Below is a thread from "Mesh Computers Buy one and Regret it" posted by the Forum Editor on Sun 05/05/2005

"I was in the Mesh showroom at Staples Corner this morning (browsing), and would have mentioned your problem personally. I have to say that I was impressed with what I saw - I couldn't help overhearing that one customer was receiving what sounded like excellent advice.

I'm sure that your problem will be resolved, now that Mesh have responded in the thread, but I am bound to say that it would help enormously if we didn't have to rely so much on one person to sort these issues out
Un quote

Surely these comments are subjective, ie overhearing "One customer advised correctly", in the show room, does not make a good customner service. Also isnt saying "I'm sure that your problem will be resolved" again a subjective commment

So my suggestion is why not be subjective in your reviews and include a comment on Known issues support level etc. Perhaps the suppliers will then furnish statistics? and clean up their act. It would at least alert potential customers.

habs 23:12 08 May 06

3 years ago,i bought mesh pc,from the minute i switch the computer on, it froze,the mouse crashed and froze as well.i received the pc on Saturday ,so i can't call technical support(they close on weekend).

I had to wait till Monday and called customer services after waiting 20 minutes finally somebody answered i was so lucky.

I told them i want to return the pc to mesh and cancel the agreement, after waiting more than a month to return my money back,calling the financial company,calling mesh to cancel the agreement with the financial company,so many call to mesh,finally they did that.

I was so relieved and happy because i finished from mesh.

I bought computer from (carrerassc) before it took over by savastore.I am soooo happy with this pc.it works perfectly well.
If i want to buy another pc i would buy only from carrera

I will never buy from mesh.

spuds 23:20 08 May 06

But didn't Carrera go bust a couple of times, and left many people in a wonder?.

dontmeshwithme 23:36 08 May 06

This is a question for the FE. A limited companies turnover figures are available to the public, could you comment on the big three, Dell, Mesh and Evesham and say in regards to their turnover which one is featured on here most often. That would be a useful and undeniable statistic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced