to mesh or not to mesh

nhojnhoj 17:09 20 Oct 03

i was on the verge of buying a mesh 2600 on friday but i`m just not sure now!

i know that only people with problems speak up and you only ever hear the bad and not the good etc, etc, etc but the number of people who seem to think mesh are the devil in disguise has got me worried.

are they that bad?
i wasn`t aware that their technical helpline is premium rate, it doesn`t say that on the web site and the call centre told me it was 0870 local rate?

my personal experience is being on hold for 15 minutes, 10 minutes and 15 minutes respectively which again makes me worry. and that was the order line!

would anyone like to defend them other than the mesh rep and the editor (who seems to have mesh shares?!?) in fairness the spec of their pc`s seems to be much better than similar priced goods

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:44 20 Oct 03

Mesh sell many thousands of computers per year and irrespective of what you may hear, the number of complaints are tiny and probably no more than any other manufacturer.

To put this in perspective, PCWorld seem to have a large number of complaints on this forum. I've now bought over 20 computers from them and an astonishing amount of hardware. I have never had a problem or met an 'idiot' sales person. I've met sales persons who are very switched on and some who are not the sharpest knife in the drawer but this is a mirror of life. A certified Sun Systems engineer would hardly be working for PCWorld ;-))). You also have to remember that you only read one side of the story on anything sent to this forum. Mesh, at least, have the courtesy to have a presence here and if you are worried about paying for helplines (premium rate is not uncommon) then you have here, which is free.

Many of my friends have Mesh computers and as far as I can see they are a good piece of kit. The current Mesh range is superb value and if I were buying a new computer I would be torn between teh Mesh 3000 click here, teh Medion, when Aldi/Lidl are floggin'em or teh Ionix click here

Every manufacturer has had bad publicity but one has to remember that ones that are still trading after many years must be doing something right.

stubow 17:56 20 Oct 03

ordered matrix 2600 sfx 27/7/03,delivered 2 weeks later on the date specified.has worked perfectly ever since,never needed to call support,worked straight out of the box.good machine so far!

gbjbakmg 18:23 20 Oct 03

I bought a Mesh PC a year ago and was very pleased with the specification I received for the money I paid.

They did mess up a few times when it came to deliver - I paid for a Saturday delivery and it came mid week.

The big problem was when I had a problem with the machine.
I was sold the machine with a 3 year on site warranty so when I reported the fault I expected someone to come and fix it.
I phoned the help line and when I did eventually get through I was told it would have to be returned to base to diagnose the fault.
I explained that I knew what the fault was (motherboard) as I had tested it myself.

I was then told that motherboards aren't covered under the on-site warranty as they are a 'major component'.
I explained that it is no more difficult to replace a motherboard than it is any other component, but they didn't want to know.

I then tried to arrange to send it back, again on several occasions when the courier was due to turn up they didn't.

I sent a letter to the MD and several weeks laters received a letter from his secretary to say that 'someone would be in touch'.

Nobody ever did get in touch.

I tried to send it back for a third time - again no courier.

In the end I ended up buying another motherboard and fixing it myself.

One thing you will notice on the web site is that the warranties they sell are 'subject to terms and conditions'.
Unfortunately you won't find those terms and conditions documented anywhere - I think they make them up as they go along.

In summary they are great machines, but the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on, don't expect the machine to be delivered when they say it will and don't expect anyone to give a damn if there are any problems.

Way1 18:38 20 Oct 03

Agree with GANDALF entirely.

sierra 18:40 20 Oct 03

My new pc from Mesh is now in it's 10th week with no problems. I have contacted their tech help on one occasion regarding the sound system,the solution was delivered to me by way of a patch by email within 15 minutes of my phone call.The only negative comment I have to make is regarding their telephone system which was "like wading through treacle."But to be fair it was the same as trying to contact a lot of large concerns today. I say bring back the switchboard operator.
Mesh make a great PC at a very competitive price,I have found no problems which would stop me from buying from them again.

961 18:50 20 Oct 03

Mesh make good machines. I know. I've bought from them. If you get a fault free one you get good value.
However it is clear from my own experience and that of those that post here that there after sales service is not of the best. Not the worst, but not the best.
So if you buy from them and there is a problem you may encounter difficulty. It can be a pain, big time. They aren't alone in that because cost pressure on service is very mega these days.
If you look at click here you will find up to date opinions on computer makers and their service

Barrie-281802 18:51 20 Oct 03

I have bought several machines from MESh and have not experienced any problems at all.

961 18:53 20 Oct 03

Sorry that link does not work...try this...

click here

Prego 19:15 20 Oct 03

I'm still pursuing mesh for software that was promised in their advert but hasn't been delivered. Any one got any suggestions?

wags 19:56 20 Oct 03

I have 2 Mesh PCs, one nearly 4 yrs old and the other 3 mths old. I would certainly buy from them again. Great specification at a good price. My last PC was ordered online and delivered 2 weeks later at 8.30am on day specified.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…