Mesh matrix & support, both very poor, help please

grumpy-git 07:44 13 Sep 04

I have a 2 month old Mesh Matrix 64 3000FX. It seems to crash now on a daily basis, even doing simple tasks like copying files from dvd to a hard drive. If you think you know the answer to my problems, skip through my moans & groans and just " make me happy", please?
2 weeks ago it crashed - Windows/system32/config/system missing or corrupt. Support did not impress me one bit in their attempts to try & fix the problem, and their e-mail responses are slow.

The in-built recovery procedures failed and a fresh installation of Windows was required, and I lost all my data off the c drive. Fortunately I keep backups of most of the data on the d drive, but as the software and data were being installed "carefully" to have a well organised and problem free machine, it was still in the setup stages and not in regular use, so a full backup routine had not been started.

In theory it is now a fully working machine again, Windows re-installed, Service Pack 1 installed, but very little else, and certainly no extra peripherals. So why does it keep crashing? Since the Windows reload it has not been connected to the internet, and as the c drive was formatted it should be virus free.

Also today it has refused to hibernate, that never was a problem before, it just says "preparing to hibernate", then the message disappears & the machine continues to run. Before the big "fatal" Windows crash 2 weeks ago, it sometimes crashed coming out of hibernation, so I don't think it has ever been a healthy machine.

There are other issues not to do with the machine problems, such as a missing connector for the "tv out" socket (which I have still not received) and drivers such as those for the motherboard not supplied with the pc, also I had to find my own Service Pack 1, as that is not included with the supplied software.

I have had to make at least 6 calls to the pound a minute support line, costing about 30 quid so far, and that is a rip off as I wasn't even given correct information and told to look for disk drivers on the internet. Getting real help from Mesh is as difficult as trying to get blood from a stone. Perhaps the pound a minute support line is another way to make a quick buck out of the poor punters.

Over the past week I have written snail-mail to the "managing director", that was the person I asked the name of - but got no reply. Then I wrote to the general manager, asking for him to ring me, he didn't ring, but apparently has referred my problem to technical, perhaps coming from him it might have more weight. I mean - who am, I just a customer!! I was told over a week ago somebody from technical would ring me in response to my e-mails, but they haven't.

So, there you go, a sad pc with a sad owner. I will update this topic if & when technical ever ring me, and let you all know the outcome. Remember, a message from "Davey" (if I get one) asking me to contact Mesh does not mean the problem is solved!!!

Diodorus Siculus 08:12 13 Sep 04

I don't know the answer but would suggest that you try getting updated drivers for the main components: mobo, graphics, audio, etc.

Also check the temperature and how well it runs in safe mode.

And try

sfc /scannow

grumpy-git 10:23 13 Sep 04

Thanks "DS".

Shouldn't the drivers supplied with the pc be the best ones for the job? If it is a "standard" Mesh pc then they I would have thought they would have been "proven" to work with the system.

What components do you start with first for updating drivers? and what is the quickest way to locate the ones you actually need? Mesh sent me on a wild goose chase the other week searching for drivers on the internet for the hard drives (they were actually originally in a folder on the hard drive, unfortunately not like all the drivers I required) so I already know it can be a very time consuming affair.

I describe myself as a "computer user" rather than a builder, the 3 previous machines all ran well, and if I did need support it was much better & easier to get than what I have experienced from Mesh so far.

As for temperature, you get that from within the "set up" area? I have just set the "thing" running, copying files from one hard drive to the other, and also copying files to a dvd, so that gives it something to do for a while, when finished I will check temperatures.

What does "scannow" do?

grumpy-git 10:38 13 Sep 04

got a blue screen:- Windows shut down - problem with win32k.sys
"page fault in non paged area"

What a crock!

grumpy-git 10:42 13 Sep 04

Just re-booted pc & checked temperatures:-
cpu 40.5C
mb 29C

Was wondering earlier what mobo was, bet it is motherboard, this old git is learning slowly!

fishyfingers 10:51 13 Sep 04

"Remember, a message from "Davey" (if I get one) asking me to contact Mesh does not mean the problem is solved!!! "

Nope, but it's a start and you always have this forum if mesh doesn't solve your problem from here.

MESH Support 10:51 13 Sep 04

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with regards to your Mesh PC.

The most common reason for the symptoms you report is some form of software error or corruption hence the steps you were advised to take. As you have done this and the problem persists I would suggest it is now more likely to be a hardware fault. It would probably be best if we now have an engineer look at your system. Please email me at [email protected] remembering to include your serial/order number along with your screen-name (grumpy-git) and i will look into this further.

Regarding the call costs, I regret that the amount of time spent on the software support line has been high but assure you it is our standard practice to refund this if the fault is later established to be a hardware issue.

Mesh Support

fishyfingers 10:55 13 Sep 04

and if i'd waited a few seconds more ........

grumpy-git 11:24 13 Sep 04

Well, that is a start. Perhaps they will pay me a little more attention now, shows airing your grievances in public produces better results. But, it should not be necessary to have to go to these extremes to get a problem fixed.

I will keep the Forum updated on the progress of fixing the pc, and hope that response times by this route are better than through their 24/7 online facility.

So far I have wasted days on lost "computer work" and trying the suggested repairs. Just hope my problems are soon resolved

Vague Boy 13:02 13 Sep 04

To be even handed towards MESH, even the best PC components can prove to be faulty. MESH are, after all, basically assemblers of components, the same components that are readily used by any number of PC firms.

A friend of mine had a PC built for him by a local firm with a good reputation, using top branded components. Both the hard drive and motherboard proved to have faults (and these were from brands with a very high reputation for reliability). Something like that is impossible to predict and, by the law of averages, must affect every computer builder at some time.

grumpy-git 14:17 13 Sep 04

Before I bought my PC I was under the impression that Mesh were a good company. I accept that things can "go wrong", but it is the quality and speed of response that is one of the issues here.

Don't forget there is also the connector not supplied with the pc, a new one was supposedly sent to me about 3 weeks ago, but I have still not received it, and the cd & floppy with drivers not supplied with the pc. Then the promise of a 'phone call from technical over a week ago, which I still have not had. All of these are nothing to do with "components" so should surely be under the responsibility of Mesh.

A 'phone call from "a manager" last week in response to my 2 snail mails would have been a positive move. This topic may not have even been posted in this Forum then, but it is the general lack of interest or urgency shown by Mesh towards my problems that really annoys me - plus the fact I still cannot continue to install all my software on the new pc.

The money I paid for the pc is "dead money" at the moment, and as a pensioner - money is hard to come by.

Unfortunately this standard of service is becoming too common in this country now. I have always strived to do the best I can for everybody, both at work, before I was retired, and at "play". Pity I don't get the same in return.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…